• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Hey, mine too. I'm hoping my Azalea's are still alive. Mine are newly planted in the third year. Going to be pee'd off if they were killed and have to start over with new plants.
Yes, i have some two year in the ground Azaleas that have many brown leaves. Not a good sign. Thanks to that worthless cold snap in December.

Yes, i have some two year in the ground Azaleas that have many brown leaves. Not a good sign. Thanks to that worthless cold snap in December.
They should be fine. They are very tough! I’d be surprised/ shocked, if they didn’t start pushing out new growth in the spring, maybe even in the next few weeks!
Take your fingernail and scrape along a random stem, if the cambium layer just under the bark is green, it’s still alive and well!

How bout our Vidalia's. When will they be coming up the hwy. April maybe with the warm wx? I can eat em raw they so good
My grandfather would eat Vidalia sandwich with mayo. Back in the 70's I remember him talking about Vidalia onions and was big score if you got your hands on some. I think way before they started marketing the onion.

Wow! I don't know that I can ever recall seeing one, I knew they were here, but damn there one is.
I had used the wood to make things and seen a lot of black locust but these are a first. Mountain folk made home brew with the pods so I might have to try that in the fall.

All of my Azalea leaves are brown, and my tea olive leaves are gone, from that worthless cold snap in December.
I have 19 tea olives (1 1/2 years old) .Lost all their leaves-saw very tiny green buds this week.I'm in hardiness zone 7a-I got down to about 8 degrees during that cold snap.Might want to be patient a little longer with them.Beautiful shrub.Good luck

I have 19 tea olives (1 1/2 years old) .Lost all their leaves-saw very tiny green buds this week.I'm in hardiness zone 7a-I got down to about 8 degrees during that cold snap.Might want to be patient a little longer with them.Beautiful shrub.Good luck
We had he same deal with ours over here (we hit 3.9) and of the large number of them, all of them defoliated entirely except for some reason one shrub out of all of them kept one green leaf. We have yet to see buds on them yet but we know they're still alive.

Well that is certainly good news, makes me feel a little more optimistic about it coming back.

I had used the wood to make things and seen a lot of black locust but these are a first. Mountain folk made home brew with the pods so I might have to try that in the fall.

I almost feel like you have to at this point, I mean why not if you can home brew.

Just finished digging up and disposing of my Pampas grass after 15 years. Good riddance! Beautiful plant but hell to clean up after. I will never own it again unless I can strike a match to it every winter or spring. Kept it intact and drug it to the road (several pieces) with a chain and the crap is all over the yard. Will become my neighbors problem once the wind gets a hold of it.

I've got a lot of seedlings growing in the woods. It's overgrown, so the majority aren't in optimal spots/won't make it very long.

Does anyone have any experience transplanting/selling seedlings from the woods? I'm thinking I may as well give them a chance and maybe make some cash on the side too.

I've read that you need to be careful putting them in direct sun right away etc. And also the method of the larger ones having their roots broken in the fall before the actual transplant, but I am thinking I will stick to the new seedling growth first.. so the smaller guys without a deep taproot etc.

The types are cedars, pines, maples, etc. Basic Southern stuff. Some Holly too, which I am very fond of.

I've got a lot of seedlings growing in the woods. It's overgrown, so the majority aren't in optimal spots/won't make it very long.

Does anyone have any experience transplanting/selling seedlings from the woods? I'm thinking I may as well give them a chance and maybe make some cash on the side too.

I've read that you need to be careful putting them in direct sun right away etc. And also the method of the larger ones having their roots broken in the fall before the actual transplant, but I am thinking I will stick to the new seedling growth first.. so the smaller guys without a deep taproot etc.

The types are cedars, pines, maples, etc. Basic Southern stuff. Some Holly too, which I am very fond of.
I've had some luck but I would recommend taking as much of the soil from around them that you can. Be diligent with water too.

If you transplant in winter, it’s your best bet with little seedlings , up to full size bushes. 98% of plants transplant best when dormant

Has anyone used Deer Busters heavy duty fencing? Wondering how it actually holds up over time IRL vs what they claim on their site.

Has anyone used Deer Busters heavy duty fencing? Wondering how it actually holds up over time IRL vs what they claim on their site.
Meh .... looks very weak and easy for rabbits and groundhogs to get under.

Deer can leap an 8’ fence in a single bound!

Back