• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Any Banana plant growers on here ? I have several. The artic blast we got in December knocked them all down. Even my Basjoo's that are very cold hardy. All well established corms so I hope they all bounce back in spring. My Basjoo's ,during mild winters , provides instant tropical foliage in Feburary and March . 6-10 foot stalks will begin to push out leaves early in Spring. Will be ground up this Spring.

Avocado, Coffee,& Pinapple ? In NC? You have a greenhouse ?
The plan is to get a greenhouse. I have them inside my house currently. They are really beautiful plants which is why I held off on the greenhouse for now. If your having trouble with Banana plants, consider getting a Grand Nain. I have one in my house and it will only reach 6-8 feet and it's really sweet.

The plan is to get a greenhouse. I have them inside my house currently. They are really beautiful plants which is why I held off on the greenhouse for now. If your having trouble with Banana plants, consider getting a Grand Nain. I have one in my house and it will only reach 6-8 feet and it's really sweet.
All my Bananas are outside in ground. Established several years now but this recent cold snap is rare so I have to cross my fingers and hold my breath . I have Basjoo's, Saba, Black Thia, and Giant Yunan. Have had and lost Raja,Blu Java, and Giant Napal. I have a few groves with 75 + stalks last year when I did a quick count. Grand Nain is the commercial chiquita varity banana, correct ? I threw a grocery store bought Avocado seed in the ground last year for the fun of it. It grew to about a foot tall and Fall killed it off. I grew Carolina Reaper peppers one year outside. Beautiful ornimentals when full of peppers ,not to mention, the fun taking them to work and watching my idiot co-workers attempt to eat them. I may get some more this year to grow just for ornimentals. I may try coffee . Take it inside when cool weather approcahes.

All my Bananas are outside in ground. Established several years now but this recent cold snap is rare so I have to cross my fingers and hold my breath . I have Basjoo's, Saba, Black Thia, and Giant Yunan. Have had and lost Raja,Blu Java, and Giant Napal. I have a few groves with 75 + stalks last year when I did a quick count. Grand Nain is the commercial chiquita varity banana, correct ? I threw a grocery store bought Avocado seed in the ground last year for the fun of it. It grew to about a foot tall and Fall killed it off. I grew Carolina Reaper peppers one year outside. Beautiful ornimentals when full of peppers ,not to mention, the fun taking them to work and watching my idiot co-workers attempt to eat them. I may get some more this year to grow just for ornimentals. I may try coffee . Take it inside when cool weather approcahes.
Yup your right about the Chiquita. That's the only plant that was the shortest, but apparently it tastes better than the commercial grown ones, well see. it's on it's 10th leaf now. The peppers sound like a great idea! How did your Blu Java taste? I heard good things about that one.

I’ve always wanted to plant a pomegranate and a pineapple guava plant. The arboretum in Raleigh had a 25 year old mature guava plant that would have ripe fruit in the fall. Loved to pick it. It’s rated zone 8 a . Lowes was selling them once

Yup your right about the Chiquita. That's the only plant that was the shortest, but apparently it tastes better than the commercial grown ones, well see. it's on it's 10th leaf now. The peppers sound like a great idea! How did your Blu Java taste? I heard good things about that one.
Well, the Blu Java got 12-15 feet ( it got freaking huge with a massive trunk) tall but never produced before winter killed it off the first or second year. I did not plant and protect the corm well enough. My Bajoo's produce hands of fruit every year but they are inedible. I guess my growing season is not long enough for my Saba to produce. My Saba is a Plaintain and comes back every year. The only reason my Basjoo's produce fruit is becasue the stalks survive the mild winters, go doremant, and pick up where they left off the previous season. Once the stalk fruits, they die. My single stalk Raja & Napal fruited the first year and then they were goners. Neither pushed up any babies before fruiting. My Yunan is becoming invasive. I'm digging up runners and throwing them in the front entrance of my neighborhood. Parts of it is just over grown weeds so I'm going to liven it up a bit with tropical plants.

I’ve always wanted to plant a pomegranate and a pineapple guava plant. The arboretum in Raleigh had a 25 year old mature guava plant that would have ripe fruit in the fall. Loved to pick it. It’s rated zone 8 a . Lowes was selling them once
My wife purchased a Pineapple plant from the big box store. Fruit was about the size of a softball. I replanted it and put it outside. It did well all summer but I could not judge the ripeness of it. It just up and rotted one day. I was planning to pick it and allow the grandkids enjoy it. You get into some of these tropical plants ,its hard to keep them alive in our SE zones unless you keep them indoors and know how to care for them.

All of my Azalea leaves are brown, and my tea olive leaves are gone, from that worthless cold snap in December.

All of my Azalea leaves are brown, and my tea olive leaves are gone, from that worthless cold snap in December.
Hey, mine too. I'm hoping my Azalea's are still alive. Mine are newly planted in the third year. Going to be pee'd off if they were killed and have to start over with new plants.

I lost a good bit of my garlic crop. It usually can handle down to 10 but that one morning was too much.

Ready to get my sunsweet tomato plants going ! We’re great and produced through October! Small yellow/orange grape tomato, very sweet! Can’t plant until June! ????

We have some wild garlic growing . When can you harvest garlic?
I usually plant in October and harvest in late April. The bottom few leaves start to dry and and then stalk will get thick and harder when it’s ready.

I usually plant in October and harvest in late April. The bottom few leaves start to dry and and then stalk will get thick and harder when it’s ready.
We had someone see it growing on our property and asked my mom for some. Its on acreage. I went to dig it up and it did not look like it does in the grocery stores. I think it was early spring and was not mature yet. I wanted some for myself too. I will remember April time frame. Its on a rattle snake infested part of our property we do not normally keep cut. I will keep it cut and accessible to at least the end of summer this year. I love garlic.

Back