• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Even if this winter were to end right now, it really hasn't been all that bad in NC. We've seen virtually every type of winter storm here in NC, a classic "piedmont gradient" storm, an ice storm, a few token events, and a storm that clobbered the central-eastern piedmont bringing RDU ~6" of snow, and at least one significant storm (or more) has occurred in December, January, & February. Plus our temps thus far this winter have been below normal, can't really complain. I'd be content with us switching into tornado season right now. One more big dog in late February or early-mid March would turn this into a legendary winter for a good portion of east-central NC, the likes of which we haven't seen on a regular basis since the 1960s.
View attachment 3808
View attachment 3809
View attachment 3807
View attachment 3810
View attachment 3813
View attachment 3812
View attachment 3811

One more storm here of a few inches pushes this winter into legendary status here.

I dug up some old pictures from February 2015.

Here’s the first storm of 3 inches on the 16th. Don’t let the grass in the yard showing fool you. I had a broken lawn mower and the grass got ridiculously long before winter started.

e0e90c275b81f04052b27524467fe423.jpg

Here’s 2 days later on the 18th after a super cold clipper dropped a few more inches.

dae4fb17b32e151a92a6e2144aeebeb8.jpg

And then freezing rain on top of the snow 5 or 6 days later.

ddda60acccef95f47a4d5f980a733acc.jpg

85066576b3e74dfd8809ced9d75faa68.jpg

And the final storm on March 5th

1fcd741a02cb31e69abf2da5d41635d4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HM injects some serious hope especially for Mid-Atlanic & NE US weenies. The upper south isn't out of the game in late February/early March if we get a legit -NAO triggered by this PV split in concert w/ extremely intense tropical forcing

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 10.35.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 10.36.03 PM.png

February 2015 was the greatest February I’ve ever experienced winter weather wise in my 12 years of living here. Leading up to the 16th we had nothing but a few dustings. That all changed in mid February as my backyard personally saw 3 snows of 2 plus inches with two of them at at least 4 inches and one freezing rain event all in a matter of 3 weeks time. I actually had 2 inches of snow fall on top of 3 inches of snow that had fallen 2 day’s earlier to give me my first 4 inch snow. Then we had freezing rain fall on top of that a few days later. We had a lot of sleet with the first storm which kept the snow on the ground for 2 weeks combined with the cold temps. When it was all almost gone we got dumped on with 4 more inches of snow on March 6th I believe. Portland Tennessee which is a ten minute drive north of me managed all snow for the first storm and pulled off 9 inches of it to my 3 because of so much sleet in my area. I’m also certain parts of north eastern Tennessee got a devastating ice storm during this time period.

February 2015 was pretty good for places in North AL/North GA (and yes, the caveat I mean North of Atlanta metro) and North Carolina but it seems like it was really epic north of there.

Even if this winter were to end right now, it really hasn't been all that bad in NC. We've seen virtually every type of winter storm here in NC, a classic "piedmont gradient" storm, an ice storm, a few token events, and a storm that clobbered the central-eastern piedmont bringing RDU ~6" of snow, and at least one significant storm (or more) has occurred in December, January, & February. Plus our temps thus far this winter have been below normal, can't really complain. I'd be content with us switching into tornado season right now. One more big dog in late February or early-mid March would turn this into a legendary winter for a good portion of east-central NC, the likes of which we haven't seen on a regular basis since the 1960s.
View attachment 3808
View attachment 3809
View attachment 3807
View attachment 3810
View attachment 3813
View attachment 3812
View attachment 3811
If we get one more good storm. If not, it has really only been average for me with 6 inches of snow and only one good storm. I do not see me getting another one, either.

Feb 2015 was one of those month where you had to be north of I-20. Those of us south of I-20 didnt see a flake.

Uhhh really at least in Georgia try north of I-85 and with the big dog snow of the month, not in Atlanta proper or on a latitude. But of course I view that month differently as I was still someplace else and I may still have even if I wasn't due to close family that is there.

February 2015 was pretty good for places in North AL/North GA (and yes, the caveat I mean North of Atlanta metro) and North Carolina but it seems like it was really epic north of there.
Yes it was! I had just moved into my house in Cherokee at the beginning of that month and we had the snow come through. Come to think of it, it has snowed several times here every winter since I have been here. I love it here.

Chattanooga hasn't got squat this year, snow or rain. Well looks like we'll get some rain this week.

That early Dec. storm really had a sharp gradient that is striking in the Tennessee Valley which you can tell from the NOAA maps (and what I found when I was traveling). Like even sharper than 2/25/15. Some of the southern areas of it saw 2 maybe a little more inches of snow and then you could've driven 10 miles north...dusting...20-30 miles south, buried.

Tonight's temperature forecast, especially north of Atlanta has busted pretty bad already. Forecast low for me was 34, currently 29.2. Forecast high for tomorrow has also been lowered to 51 from near 60 earlier. Woohoo! lol

looks like its spread east lol

I'm still trying to figure out how we went from a Euro forecast of 80 degrees, talk of severe weather, to now possibly a winter storm(or at least a very cold rain) all for tomorrow

looks like its spread east lol

I'm still trying to figure out how we went from a Euro forecast of 80 degrees, talk of severe weather, to now possibly a winter storm(or at least a very cold rain) all for tomorrow

Right! I have a funny feeling someone’s gonna be in for a surprise in the next few weeks. Looks like you may be the first one lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right! I have a funny feeling someone’s gonna be in for a surprise in the next few weeks. Looks like you may be the first one lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the first surprise was when I walked out at work last night and it felt like I was back in Chicago after being 65 and sunny 3 hours earlier :eek:

Back