• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Looks better than the GEFS that was posted above which is strange because the EPS looks worse for the SE at 5H than the GEFS does in the LR.

ECMF_phase_51m_full_01-31-18_02-14-18_.gif

f9838205881fd9b7d6d79aad3450619f.jpg
9a81ba26d9052d3a80a0b600e2b0b388.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Overall trends continue warmer for the SE US on the model consensus through the 12Z GFS.

Edit: ATL gets barely below 0C at 850 next 2 days and then never goes below 0C rest of the 12Z GFS. 6-10 and 11-15 periods warmer than normal at 2 meters SE US.

Last edited:
Overall trends continue warmer for the SE US on the model consensus through the 12Z GFS.

Edit: ATL gets barely below 0C at 850 next 2 days and then never goes below 0C rest of the 12Z GFS. 6-10 and 11-15 periods warmer than normal at 2 meters SE US.
I'm sure the GFS will change drastically again once it sees phase 8 or a move to the COD in 8.

This could honestly move into 8 on modeling in a decent amplitude in the next few days then a lot of folks will stop panicking. I’m not sold on the nosedive in phase 7 yet
I don't know about a decent amplitude, but I think it'll get there.

I don't know about a decent amplitude, but I think it'll get there.

Whether the MJO gets to phase 8 all global ensembles agree on dumping deep cold into Europe and Asia. Hopefully it can get back to North America before March.

EAC55CAE-1FBC-4C2A-A91B-DC3980121119.png

What does it means for the Southeast if it goes to 8? What is colder 7 or 8

It isn't that cut and dry as there are many factors that work together. However, if we were isolating the MJO, phase 8 would on average be a little colder than phase 7 in the SE US and especially when not at strong amplitudes. Either inside the circle or just outside...i.e., amplitudes of 1.5 or lower tend on average to be more conducive to SE cold. I say only a little colder than phase 7 because phase 7 itself has been pretty cold when near or inside the circle ON AVERAGE. In all likelihood, nothing major will suddenly happen just because it crosses from 7 to 8. Phase 7 has been one of the cooler phases, not warm, ON AVERAGE.

Bottom line though is that the MJO is never on its own, regardless of phase.

Whether the MJO gets to phase 8 all global ensembles agree on dumping deep cold into Europe and Asia. Hopefully it can get back to North America before March.

View attachment 3675
I don't believe that will end up being the case. Everything looks good through 240 (and I use "good" loosely) and then shortly after, things get nutty. If in 10 days, we're seeing that solution showing up imminently, then I'll toss the rest of the month. I don't think that will be the case.

Back