• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Yuck is a good word
90118584e93bd819f8abb7c186e21092.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

This should be a nice, soaking cold rain for much of the NC piedmont especially late on Super Bowl Sunday. Certainly curious to see how long the in-situ CAD holds over the western piedmont especially near & west of the Triad.

ecmwf_t2m_nc_17.png

Why would the EPS be correct at 2mT at Day 15 when it cant even get Day 9-10 right at 500mb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t it the best performing model? The GEFS looks much better with developing HLB in the extended. Thanks for the feedback, I hope it’s incorrect.

The only thing of recent days that concerns me is the potential trend towards the MJO not progressing into Phase 8, which would likely result in about what the long range ensembles are showing. This whole pattern change idea for me has been largely driven by that potential. I know there are some other factors also potentially in play with the PV split that could help out, but if the MJO doesn't cooperate it's going to make things more complicated. And as Webb has explained, that idea could have legs based on SSTs with Nina. We will see.

Exactly how I feel at the moment. If the mjo was projected into phase 8 I feel the ensemble models would look colder long range.
I'm not saying it is correct, but if it were to be, this would be why.

NCPE_phase_21m_small.gif
FebruaryPhase7gt1500mb.gif

FebruaryPhase7gt12mT.gif

What an unfortunate tease that would be...high amplitude B-line toward favorable MJO phases, then right before it gets to cold and snowy phase 8, it hits the breaks and makes a hard U turn. Of course. Hopefully it's still correcting and we get nicely into phase 8. My worry though it's ALL the major ensembles showing the warm ridging and the phase 7 turn. It's not just the EPS that has been having accuracy problems.

Exactly how I feel at the moment. If the mjo was projected into phase 8 I feel the ensemble models would look colder long range.

What an unfortunate tease that would be...high amplitude B-line toward favorable MJO phases, then right before it gets to cold and snowy phase 8, it hits the breaks and makes a hard U turn. Of course. Hopefully it's still correcting and we get nicely into phase 8. My worry though it's ALL the major ensembles showing the warm ridging and the phase 7 turn. It's not just the EPS that has been having accuracy problems.
It's going to reach phase 8 either with amplitude or into the COD, either case favors cold in the eastern US and RMM may not flesh this out because it uses OLR that has an eastern hemisphere bias. The upper level circulation of the MJO will remain in tact even as we lose the convection and will impart forcing onto the North America wave pattern that resembles a phase 8 event. Even if this index says the MJO just magically dissipated when it reached phase 8 that's going to be far from reality when you have a 3.5-4 sigma event in phase 7, some significant remnant of the MJO will remain when it hits the Western Hemisphere (phase 8-1)

Back