• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Ya but for a while he was thinking that it was possible that he would be wrong...but we all got duped by what the teleconnections were looking like, just like "Voldemort" from the old days. Everyone from the intellectuals to the hobbyists. There was only one guy that ended up being right in the shorter term, and that was Shawn. Everyone else had hope because of what the teleconnections were looking like temporarily.

Don't feel like digging it up but he had said that the strong MJO event in phase 7 makes him think that we might have already flipped to a warm-ENSO background.

The stalling of the MJO in phase 7 is likely in one fact attributable to the current NINA background coupled w/ a cool Atlantic MDR which halts further easterly progression into the Western Hemisphere and the current sudden stratospheric warming event/PV split could be perturbing the upper equatorial troposphere and lower stratosphere such that convection is favored over the warm pool yet again in spite of recent MJO passage which also may hinder progression of the MJO into the traditionally less convectively active W Hem (phases 8-1) by inducing large-scale mid-level descent. The evolution of tropical convection and the atmospheric response to this convection the next several will be critical for the development of a potential El Nino this upcoming fall and winter, if the MJO propagates thru the Indian Ocean in the COD w/ little amplitude as advertised by the ECMWF it will do little if anything to stifle/dampen the massive downwelling oceanic Kelvin Wave that's building in the Western Pacific. The suppression of the thermocline all the way down to over 300m well west of the International Dateline is extremely impressive and is about 100m deeper than the previous moderate oceanic KW that roamed across the CP in late December and January. Even if this KW even just maintains its intensity these anomalies will increase a lot as it comes east because the thermocline is much shallower to the east. Thus, it will seem like the KW is "intensifying" as it comes east as the anomalies increase but the reality is it's just not damping as many often do.
wkxzteq_anm (1).gif

The stalling of the MJO in phase 7 is likely in one fact attributable to the current NINA background coupled w/ a cool Atlantic MDR which halts further easterly progression into the Western Hemisphere and the current sudden stratospheric warming event/PV split could be perturbing the upper equatorial troposphere and lower stratosphere such that convection is favored over the warm pool yet again in spite of recent MJO passage which also may hinder progression of the MJO into the traditionally less convectively active W Hem (phases 8-1) by inducing large-scale mid-level descent. The evolution of tropical convection and the atmospheric response to this convection the next several will be critical for the development of a potential El Nino this upcoming fall and winter, if the MJO propagates thru the Indian Ocean in the COD w/ little amplitude as advertised by the ECMWF it will do little if anything to stifle/dampen the massive downwelling oceanic Kelvin Wave that's building in the Western Pacific. The suppression of the thermocline all the way down to over 300m well west of the International Dateline is extremely impressive and is about 100m deeper than the previous moderate oceanic KW that roamed across the CP in late December and January. Even if this KW even just maintains its intensity these anomalies will increase a lot as it comes east because the thermocline is much shallower to the east. Thus, it will seem like the KW is "intensifying" as it comes east as the anomalies increase but the reality is it's just not damping as many often do.
View attachment 3976
Thanks for your honest analysis Webb. Realistic and straight forward as always, even if it's not what some, including myself, want to hear. We'll get over it if it doesn't work out

Everyone here is talking warm weather meanwhile Memphis says significant arctic intrusion possible late next week

LOL,,,I will believe it when we see it...
Not going to affect many on here at this point but models are trending atm to a battle ground setting up next weekend over Tennessee. The cold air is trending a little further south for a brief period. We have been very close with the two systems this week over this way. We got a solid half inch of snow Sunday on the back end of that system and there is a small band of snow about to move in as I type.

Happy hour special! Take it while you can!
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_21.png

66CEFB1E-B90F-4F7C-B99D-3AB04C4AB177.png DT! The Man! Calling out Bustardi! LMAO!

Lol yep. It's one run and it's happy hour, and if there is blue in states in the SE then it's a special. Even if that special is complete garbage.
Euro has it as well fwiw . But cold chasing moisture does not excite me like it did back in the day .

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Both of the big models are getting drier for NC and SC outside of the mountains. This area and parts of GA will almost certainly hang on to the drought and see it worsen again over the next few weeks. It would not surprise me at all if everyone east of I-85 in the Carolinas get less than .50 total in rain over the next 2 weeks. So much for the big wet spell here.

This is classic. As usual, the stereotypical NINA storm track comes to life late in the winter. I feel so stupid for even considering the cool/Fab February as a legitimate option, I knew sooner or later this would show up and we got lucky this year it didn't happen in January.
eps_tprecip_10a_conus_61.png

Last edited:
Back