• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Can’t wait for the squeeze between the -NAO and the +SE Ridge!

C868EC7D-0A10-419C-9B73-F33C31E49620.png The ridge is strong with this one! :(

I thought we would see some strong blocking show up on the Op runs in the extended. The head fakes for this February from the MJO, -SOI and now the SSWE is quite the spectacle. The nina is going to win for February into March.

gfs_z500a_nhem_49.png

I thought we would see some strong blocking show up on the Op runs in the extended. The head fakes for this February from the MJO, -SOI and now the SSWE is quite the spectacle. The nina is going to win for February into March.

gfs_z500a_nhem_49.png
Can we start an ugly pictures thread?
It'll have 1,000 entries by Wednesday ... :eek:

(sigh) Give up for winter if you wish but I am still thinking we see some winter precip in the south. I didn't believe the forecast for freezing February predicted in Jan and don't believe the current torch looks for the rest of winter either. Now for those in Florida, Georgia and other deep south areas, yeah it is probably over for winter precip but isn't that the norm for this time of year La Nina or not?

(sigh) Give up for winter if you wish but I am still thinking we see some winter precip in the south. I didn't believe the forecast for freezing February predicted in Jan and don't believe the current torch looks for the rest of winter either. Now for those in Florida, Georgia and other deep south areas, yeah it is probably over for winter precip but isn't that the norm for this time of year La Nina or not?
Usually some of Georgia's biggest storms come in late February and March. Idk how La Niña affects it tho

Usually some of Georgia's biggest storms come in late February and March. Idk how La Niña affects it tho
I'll have to go back and check my records to get the year (about to eat so no time for record delving) but the biggest, wettest, heaviest snow I ever saw in N GA (on the AT south of Blairsville) was sometime in the very late 80's or early 90's ... in March (and it was not the SuperStorm)

Yes it the norm for the deep south to be done with winter by Feb 15. Every 10 or 20 years there will be a big snow after that.

when he lived in Georgia he whined about not ever getting snow, now that he's experience one real winter up north, he's whining about that now.

Like I've said if you've lived in one area for long enough you're going to get used to the overall climate.

I kind of think that February is much more of like the March in the southeast. The dynamics of this month, if it works out can lead to big time storms and most likely have their highest average accumulation from this month...thing is...it's boom or bust and can easily be 70 a week later after the storm.

There's a very good reason that most of some areas in the deeper south's top snows come in February and it's due to it. It's not just pure coincidence (even as I was trying for the every 4 years thing to work out this year) or chance.

Winter cancel. Everyone panic.

ce58e8126654bd2d0352c4748afc611d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jon,
Thanks!
It would be very surprising not to have one more knock at the door; too many things are lining up ...
We'll see whatever we see, but no doubt, it's not quite over yet.
Appreciate your input ... ;)
Best!
Phil

Jon,
Thanks!
It would be very surprising not to have one more knock at the door; too many things are lining up ...
We'll see whatever we see, but no doubt, it's not quite over yet.
Appreciate your input ... ;)
Best!
Phil

850mb trends inside 216hrs on the EPS should be screaming at most folks. Models overdoing heat, it seems

d131cf138835e570a75b191b4e0dfc56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back