• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

I guess it's all relative. Over the last 10 nights I've been below, or at freezing 5 times, and below 35 3 times, all cold enough to support frozen, at least at the surface. It's been cold where my skin is, if not the whole column. It's always gets cold in winter, but since it's the south, there are so many more factors to work in, lol. How deep is the cold, how sustained, where's the moisture? Do the two meet up? Best not to look past 3 days, and one won't get too worked up about any of it, lol.

That is a persistent northern HB vortex, started off February with it there and seems to not want to leave. Just far enough north to keep it from providing snow/ice opportunities but just far enough south to keep us from really torching.

Whoever likes seasonal temps with bouts of rain will be happy the next couple of weeks.

GEFS Ensembles Northern Hemisphere 5-day Avg 500Z Anom 312.png

index.png

The rains are the story of February for our backyards, unfortunately. Looks like no end in sight, though the atlantic ridge may help the Carolina's with a shift towards the NW.gfs-ens_apcpn_us_fh6-192.gif

This sudden stratospheric warming event (SSWE) in the N hem polar stratosphere associated with the splitting of our polar vortex could provide the impetus for the MJO remaining strong for at least the next 2 weeks or so. When you get a SSWE, the downward branch of the Brewer Dobson Circulation in the extratropical/polar stratosphere accelerates downward, compresses and warms the air. By virtue of mass continuity, the upward branch over the tropics also has to accelerate upward. When parcels accelerate upward they cool via expansion because the density of the atmosphere decreases monotonically with height, which leads to more intense adiabatic cooling all the way to the tropopause. This cooling of the equatorial tropopause is often capable of destabilizing the troposphere enough to instigate intense convection in/around the equator (usually first in the N Hem then the S Hem) which lasts for a week or two even after the SSWE has ended. You can actually see that happening in real-time.
Fig-5-The-Brewer-Dobson-circulation-in-the-PDE-The-Hadley-Ferrel-and-Polar-cells-are.png

Here's a near-equatorial (10S-10N) time-height temperature anomaly cross-section. Notice how the lower stratosphere and equatorial tropopause cool significantly over the coming week or so w/ temperature anomalies just above 100 hPa approaching 5C below average after the stratospheric warming event in the Northern hemisphere got underway!
Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 10.07.32 AM.png

Tread extremely carefully the next few weeks, NWP models do not handle these troposphere-stratosphere coupling interactions well at well, much less how these interactions are capable of triggering convection in the tropics, which will later feed right back onto the mid-latitude circulation. We're gonna essentially be going blind for a little while after day 7 ish (even relative to what we normally see), best advice is to just use large-scale principles and physical linkages between various phenomena instead of dry humping/regurgitating NWP. You really couldn't draw up a more fickle/uncertain pattern than what we're about to see thru early March.

Last edited:
Guess the big takeaway here is we are about to enter the twilight zone pattern. Lol.

This sudden stratospheric warming event (SSWE) in the N hem polar stratosphere associated with the splitting of our polar vortex could provide the impetus for the MJO remaining strong for at least the next 2 weeks or so. When you get a SSWE, the downward branch of the Brewer Dobson Circulation in the extratropical/polar stratosphere accelerates downward, compresses and warms the air. By virtue of mass continuity, the upward branch over the tropics also has accelerate upward. When parcels accelerate upward they cool via expansion because the density of the atmosphere decreases monotonically with height, which leads to more intense adiabatic cooling all the way to the tropopause. This cooling of the equatorial tropopause is often capable of destabilizing the troposphere enough to instigate intense convection in/around the equator (usually first in the N Hem then the S Hem) which lasts for a week or two even after the SSWE has ended. You can actually see that happening in real-time.
View attachment 3918

Here's a near-equatorial (10S-10N) time-height temperature anomaly cross-section. Notice how the lower stratosphere and equatorial tropopause cool significantly over the coming week or so w/ temperature anomalies just above 100 hPa approaching 5C below average after the stratospheric warming event in the Northern hemisphere got underway!
View attachment 3919

Tread extremely carefully the next few weeks, NWP models do not handle these troposphere-stratosphere coupling interactions well at well, much less how these interactions are capable of triggering convection in the tropics, which will later feed right back onto the mid-latitude circulation. We're gonna essentially be going blind for a little while after day 7 ish (even relative to what we normally see), best advice is to just use large-scale principles and physical linkages between various phenomena instead of dry humping/regurgitating NWP. You really couldn't draw up a more fickle/uncertain pattern than what we're about to see thru early March.
Well one things for sure, the warm always seems more certain than the cold even with these kinds of events in the southeast at least.it like we just have to score big by haphazard chance, and no matter how favorable the teleconnections are, there's always uncertainty. One thing we can always count on as being certain: rain. Not trolling, just speaking facts haha. No wonder it's been so quiet the past few days. Idk what you expect, but from what it looks like we've run out of hope. Sorry.

Guess the big takeaway here is we are about to enter the twilight zone pattern. Lol.
And more than likely, we'll be going crazy over it and still not score. SMH. It's almost like it's not worth it anymore because no matter how favorable so called teleconnections are, we are guaranteed just rain. Not trolling or bitching, but I feel like we are waiting for something to happen that's good for cold and snow, and more than likely it's just not gonna happen at least for the southeast

And more than likely, we'll be going crazy over it and still not score. SMH. It's almost like it's not worth it anymore because no matter how favorable so called teleconnections are, we are guaranteed just rain. Not trolling or bitching, but I feel like we are waiting for something to happen that's good for cold and snow, and more than likely it's just not gonna happen at least for the southeast
It's much better to have an active pattern than one that is conducive of a drought. Especially if you don't want triple digit temps later on.

This sudden stratospheric warming event (SSWE) in the N hem polar stratosphere associated with the splitting of our polar vortex could provide the impetus for the MJO remaining strong for at least the next 2 weeks or so. When you get a SSWE, the downward branch of the Brewer Dobson Circulation in the extratropical/polar stratosphere accelerates downward, compresses and warms the air. By virtue of mass continuity, the upward branch over the tropics also has accelerate upward. When parcels accelerate upward they cool via expansion because the density of the atmosphere decreases monotonically with height, which leads to more intense adiabatic cooling all the way to the tropopause. This cooling of the equatorial tropopause is often capable of destabilizing the troposphere enough to instigate intense convection in/around the equator (usually first in the N Hem then the S Hem) which lasts for a week or two even after the SSWE has ended. You can actually see that happening in real-time.
View attachment 3918

View attachment 3919

Thing about it is, most of us really don't know large scale physics, and physical links like you do.

It's much better to have an active pattern than one that is conducive of a drought. Especially if you don't want triple digit temps later on.
I hear you on that haha. I just keep having dreams of a big snowstorm like in the past like the 82 snow jam or something. But alas, 4-6+ snowstorms like in the past are all too difficult in my lifetime haha.

I hear you on that haha. I just keep having dreams of a big snowstorm like in the past like the 82 snow jam or something. But alas, 4-6+ snowstorms like in the past are all too difficult in my lifetime haha.
Theres been at least two 4-6" snows in the Atl area since 2011 so i really dont think its any more difficult now than it was a long time ago.

Theres been at least two 4-6" snows in the Atl area since 2011 so i really dont think its any more difficult now than it was a long time ago.
It just seems like it was more back in the day haha. And more exciting. I heard the snow in the 82 snow jam was "entoxicating", and "seemingly endless". I wish I had something like that nowadays.

It just seems like it was more back in the day haha. And more exciting. I heard the snow in the 82 snow jam was "entoxicating", and "seemingly endless". I wish I had something like that nowadays.
In 82 it started around 4 pm. I remember watching snow blow across the streets in sheets, like rain, because it was so cold and dry. It stuck to everything right away. Streets were covered in thirty minutes and cars were sliding very soon after. We haven't had a major snow with temps that cold recently. 2014 was close but the rates didn't seem to be as high.

When you get to experience cold and dry snow, if it's rare to you its simply unbelievable. On the northern parts of 1/28/14 (including Atlanta) it was like that and I've read people that come in here say it was comparable to snowjam '82.

It may not have been high accumulation (I actually think it was at my location then, it still feels like I saw 4 inches of fluff in Northwest Georgia when I was supposed to see just a "dusting"), but like I will forever press, if the lead up has been very cold, it's going to be high impact to southeast people no matter what.

It's why it's rare. The cold and dry snow situations with cold lead ups are even rarer than your traditional southeast snowstorms.

10/11 and 13/14 were absolutely unreal, memorable winters, no matter where you were outside of Florida.

Back