• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

The sad thing is, seasonal=rain :(

Seasonal means rain at any time of the winter however. Our climatology is generally legitimate through the first week-10 days of March to support a storm. The 25th seems to be a very popular date for big fluke events like we observed in 1983, 1974, 1972, & 1971, 1940 etc.

View attachment 3885 Trying to find positives!:weenie::eek:

I feel like I'm waiting for geraldo rivero to open Al Capone's vault.Just hope it ends a little more entertaining this time. It is a unique twist to the pattern that should have some fairly noticeable impacts. Also, the models have very little experience since this is fairly rare.

We've also heard many on here talk about how great this month was gonna be after the 10th, then the second week , now it's the last week

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Just like my Tesla Model 3 reservation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, yeah, it's at 348, but it will be interesting to see if this kind of anomalous cold is still on the models in a few days.. This is very very cold for late Feb in Canada:
gfs_T2ma_us_50.png

Wow, look at how much colder is the EPS from about midmonth on up in the Midwest vs the prior run! This looks like it is fueled vs the prior run by a stronger -AO, a more -NAO and/or less +NAO, and a stronger -EPO.

Last edited:
if we realize this near mythical -NAO I can't see how we don't get some chances for cold/snow here in the south(somewhere) late this month.

not a lot of information on it, but there was a little snow storm that was greatly overshadowed by the storm of the century 2 and half weeks later.. CHA got a 3 inch snow on Feb 25 1993, that would have been the season's highest snowfall had the epic March '93 blizzard not happened. Knoxville received only an inch, so it must of been a N Alabama/N Georgia special. My memory can't recall it very well, considering what happened later.. anyone have any maps/info on that little storm?

Well heard first of the "spring peepers" last night.... On bright side last year was hearing them the first week of Jan....lol

No Robins up here yet either. Last year they never left. Yesterday was supposed to be 50 abut we started the day with borderline ZR and we were low to mid 30s most of the day and I think a high of 38. Wedge over performed again but man that was a miserable day.

It's interesting to see the difference of opinion among folks here as well as on the local tv stations. Glenn Burns says spring begins after 2/14, Chris Holcomb (who I acutually trust more lol) said its warm the next week or maybe two but winter isn't over. lol. It's one heckuva showdown between stations this month! I have no clue what David is saying (I lost respect for him when he went off on folks a few days before the foot of snow saying its not happening, no snow is going to fall) and CBS 46 eh.. I take them with a grain of salt.

My vote goes to "Winter isn't over" meaning some cold shots are still likely and if they happen to meet up with precip well there ya go.

Anywho. 1.32" of rain today. Down to 39.4 this hour.

A showdown between Atlanta TV Mets is like a baseball showdown between 5 year old t-ball teams. They are all bad! They are not on TV because they know the weather. They struggle to hit a forecast beyond 6 hours. I love to use the old term "rip and read". They pull the latest computer model data, print it out and read it to the public like it is gospel. I have seen this for 26 years. For the last 15 years, I have watched an ATL tv weather forecast for nothing more than comic relief maybe once or twice a year.
One of the many times winter was declared over in Feb. was 1993. How did that turn out? 2009 as well to a lesser degree.

It's interesting to see the difference of opinion among folks here as well as on the local tv stations. Glenn Burns says spring begins after 2/14, Chris Holcomb (who I acutually trust more lol) said its warm the next week or maybe two but winter isn't over. lol. It's one heckuva showdown between stations this month! I have no clue what David is saying (I lost respect for him when he went off on folks a few days before the foot of snow saying its not happening, no snow is going to fall) and CBS 46 eh.. I take them with a grain of salt.

My vote goes to "Winter isn't over" meaning some cold shots are still likely and if they happen to meet up with precip well there ya go.

Anywho. 1.32" of rain today. Down to 39.4 this hour.

Burns and Chandley are from the same school of thought..It is utterly stupid to say winter is over on Feb 7th or whenever they said this. I NEVER watch TV news, unless we have a major national disaster...

Back