• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 7-8 Winter storm

Gonna be close where I am . Just depends on if precip develops fast enough before the disturbance swings through . Current temp , 29 so temps won’t be an issue . Elevation just shy of 1400 feet
61f3faa10f7444485fb89236b0a10695.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advisory up for southeast Tennessee, including Chattanooga.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
National Weather Service Morristown TN 1003 PM EST Fri Feb 7 2020 .
DISCUSSION... A lot to talk about this evening. The cold air advection aloft that has kept the scattered snow showers and flurries going across southwest Virginia and northeast Tennessee is diminishing. Another dusting (1/2 inch) of snow is still possible especially across the higher elevations. Cold air Strato-cu is also slowly dissipating. Overall, low temperatures look good and made only minor adjustments. Biggest question is next system over the middle Mississippi valley. This wave and associated upper jet across the central Gulf coast states will increase the dynamics and isentropic forcing across northern Alabama by 09Z, then move east northeast into the southern Plateau and southeast Tennessee around daybreak. Model cross-sections and soundings show a couple hours of strong forcing in the dendritic snow growth zone so a period of big snowflakes anticipated. Looking at the latest ensemble snow plumes for Chattanooga shows a mean close to 1 inch now so confidence of advisory level snowfall is greater now. Also, HREF precipitation type shows mainly snow for the southern Plateau and southeast Tennessee. Still expect most of the accumulations to be on grassy and elevated surface but the higher terrain could experience some travel issues. The greatest accumulations at CHA will be between 12-16Z. Have issued the Winter Weather Advisory and updated the HWO.

What a difference a few miles makes. I'm at about 27 here.

I'm down a peninsula real close to the lake on both sides, and this station 1/4 mile from my house seems to run a bit warmer at times (not sure if it's right on the water or not).

Things are shaping up really, really well for us!

--30--

Back