• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 7-8 Winter storm

Most of it comes in the morning hours. It's gonna warm up right after this system exits.

Noon tomorrow
799078bc82620dee63e1d862a1b50384.jpg

3pm
a08fe422427d761b43bf72485cd60350.jpg

As Kirk Mellish said , the key will be how much moisture will we have during this time period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12z GFS looks like it sits between the somewhere in the middle which is a uptick for snow for parts of N. GA I mean it's close to being more substantial in the I-20 regions. Western counties in GA are riding a fine line of on-set time of precipitation and temp profiles to being hit good or just cold rain

1581090333930.png

The RGEM is what is keeping me skeptical here. The surface is blazing on it. Mid-levels are fine, but the boundary is ughhhhhly. I really hope the temperature profile on the NAM/WRF models is right.
Looks better to me at least on the RGEM at 12Z. Seems about on par with the NAM and WRF models. The HRRR seems skeptical.

58c531b1b62f040aafcabab4d524dabc.jpg

These soundings north of 85 in Upstate South Carolina on GFS! I’m loving this less then 24hrs out. Just wish it was early morning or night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the ski resorts are getting plastered from this. Of course, they need it after the recent summertime monsoon that hit...

Gilmer County has more/less been in the bullseye for two days now for this Saturday system. I guess I better start heading to Gatlinburg...LOL. (It can be right, at least once, right?)

You look to be in the sweet spot!!

I'll chase up hwy 136 in Pickens if I have to. 3000 feet should help. Way it looks now I might not have to though.

Since were throwing around short range models, here's another one...15z RAP.
View attachment 33392

I was just looking at this run on Pivotal. It seems the freezing line is only in NE Georgia on it. Where most others now have the overnight freeze line as far south as Macon. North Atlanta is supposed to get down in the 20's now overnight. It's going to take some time in the morning for it to leave. Combine that with the moisture arriving earlier and you've got the other models popping off with a snow line much further South.

At the beginning of the week my overnight low was forecast to be 35. It's trended lower each day and is currently forecast for 29. The precipitation wasn't supposed to arrive until after lunch around 18z either. Now its showing up around 13z - 14z. The trends have surprisingly been working in our favor. Now if the amped moisture continues to show an increasing trend we might actually have some fun. Fingers crossed!

I'll chase up hwy 136 in Pickens if I have to. 3000 feet should help. Way it looks now I might not have to though.

It was really starting to come down when I left at 5:45am this morning. Got all the way to Ball Ground before it finally let up. I am now working in Kennesaw but there have been a few flurries here and there here too.

Should be a very short chase for you, if needed at all!

That is always a good quick spot to chase. I might risk going up the forest service roads into the Cohuttas if the gate is open. You can get up to 4000 pretty quick there.

I'm hopeful I don't have to chase if the precip can time right. We usually get lucky with this type of setup but we'll see. The cold is certainly holding stronger today that they said.

That is always a good quick spot to chase. I might risk going up the forest service roads into the Cohuttas if the gate is open. You can get up to 4000 pretty quick there.

I'm hopeful I don't have to chase if the precip can time right. We usually get lucky with this type of setup but we'll see. The cold is certainly holding stronger today that they said.

You can get to the top if you pass the main gate for Ft MTN State Park and head toward the lake (take a left further down the road). The gates will be closed to the other parts of the mountain once you get to the ridge but you have plenty of room to wander.

Back