• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

I'm just not a fan of people going after the mets especially after a storm like this. A lot of people were heralding the NAM for days and showing off it's clown maps. Not much they can do when nearly every model shows accumulation, then an area gets little to none.
This is a great point. I used to really get frustrated w our locals here (Atl) and just like any profession some are better than others but honestly, snow in the south has to be one of the absolute most difficult forecasting scenarios. Esp if you’re in a major market.......I mean with all of the skill, science and technology in this world you’re still dealing w forces of nature which no human controls nor even 100% undesstands and as result no model can perfectly simulate. Yet, you’re tasked w making a forecast, that if inaccurate either causes unnecessary closings of businesses and public services that cost folks lots of $ and time. Or.....exposes public to potential safety issues and associated costs. Bottom line, even w best data available today it’s very very difficult to perfectly nail a snow forecast in SE US. Glad I don’t have to make those calls and grateful for those willing to put themselves out there for public scrutiny. It can’t be easy.

Final snow summary for mby.

Got a rogue skinny band or 2 might come through for 5 minute snow shower. But we done with accums.

Had 3-6 fall today no doubt. Ended up about 2.25 best I can tell. Beatifull snow in the branches, etc.
Thought Nam did an oustanding job verse Globals espeacilly from 84 hours on in. Enjoyed the chase and hope Downeast,Shaggy, everyone to my east, Brickster, SD, Metwannabe etc keep it going, get some good lollipops.
Looks like we all got one more chase for next weekend into following week before the 6 month sweat season sets up shop.

Little over 2" and still coming down at a pretty good clip. Based on radar that looks like that will be it. Have about an inch of slush on my driveway and 0.5-1" of slush on my street. If it gets down to the mid-20's tonight it will be a sheet of ice in the morning.

I know out west Scotty Powell got a lot of complaints and had to apologize. He’s wrong more than right. Raysweather indirectly called him out on FB since their viewers overlap in the foothills. I’m not sure why Scotty thinks we need even more social media avenues when we got GSP, Blacksburg, Brad P, Raysweather and more. He’s hurting his reputation big time.

I wonder when the last winter was when the 1st 2 somewhat widespread snowstorms of the season had AO’s of 3+ and 4+, respectively. That could easily be a first going back to the start of daily AO records in 1950. A strange winter, indeed!

Last edited:
Might get away with saying this now that things are calming down but you need to work less and play more:p On topic, Wakefield said Emporia area had 3-4 so I bet some in NE NC did well.
Oh I play ... it's called work and I love my sandbox ... ;)

... and love weather so long as no one is hurt by it ... relish what y'all had/have today and tonight ... ?

Back