• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

I usually care less about soil temps, but surface temps below freezing is a must for me. I tend to forget that when I see pretty clown maps.

The combo though of surface temps + warm soil just made this a non event for the clt area imo.
Yeah the warm surface temps mostly in my opinion. Same problem in the northern upstate. Rates didn't get heavy enough to cool the BL enough for accumulation until the precip was ending.

Based on the timing, cold air chasing moisture, sun angle, warm ground temps, not below freezing, these were the things working against us that I knew we couldn’t overcome. Having said that, I’m moving to south Florida in two weeks for work, so it was wonderful to get a little taste of winter tonight.
I'm not sure I fully buy into the sun angle and ground temp thing. I've personally seen it 85 degrees in Denver at 3PM and snowing and accumulating at 3AM at 33 degrees. And that was in early May!

Snowfall reports are generally really lacking south of Raleigh rn on NWS Raleigh's local storm report app, I definitely recommend tweeting at NWS Raleigh (or whichever NWS office is in your domain) to ensure your report is officially recorded, especially if you're in this area of central NC.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 8.52.23 PM.png

I’m guessing you had some pretty insane rates, though? And were surface temps below freezing? Rates can certainly overcome, but those factors certainly don’t help. Maybe with mid 20s and cold soil temps you could’ve gotten 10”, for example. Here, we’re dealing with above freezing air and soil temps, so the snowpack is melting from the top and bottom as the snow falls.
The rates were definitely insane. My temp was at 34-35 for the duration.

Snow just picked up again. Big flakes.
Just took my third Jeb Walk. Walked to the Kia dealership next to my complex and under all the lights it’s freaking beautiful out there. Highly recommend viewing snow from a car dealership under the lights during moderate/heavy nighttime snow. I avoided the puddles this time and tried to ignore that the road was slushy/wet and had a better time, haha. :p

One plus of it not being very cold is that....well, it’s not very cold, so you can walk around in it pretty comfortably. ?

A local TV Met bashing “social media” Mets tonight. Sad. I can’t recall any of the “better known” social media forecasters ever bash WRAL or TV Mets publicly. Sad to see someone use their platform and bring other down to raise themselves.

Back