• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

Just so everyone is clear: I am referring to my back yard. Some folks are going to do very well today. Of that I have no doubt. But for the NW Piedmont, it's probably going to finish on the low side. I'll be more than happy to have a pie of crow if I am wrong.
I think your best bet is that the overrunning proves to be a bit heavier/further northwest than progged. We've certainly seen models miss that plenty of times even at the last second, but I wouldn't get my hopes up necessarily. Probably a 1-3" type event in the Triad, IMO (and more likely to the lower end of that, especially as you move NW).

I'm going with 2-4" for Durham, 3-6" for Raleigh. We'll see.

Nam has been pretty consistent with my area, had 1 spike run of 7 inches in areas yesterday, but mostly its been adverting 2-5 through Randolph county. We are on the west edge. So your talking a tenth to two tenths qpf. Very impressed how it perfirmed from 84hrs to go time today. Hands down beat the globals to the punch imo.

Chattanooga has a chance to change over before those heavy returns get there...
Um that’s melting a loft more so than heavy returns. Temps in the mid 30s with light to steady precip.

Perhaps part of the problem for the NW Piedmont is the angle of approach. The precipitation is coming primarily from the west—over the mts and into relatively dry air. If the overall system were not so flat and the returns were approaching from the SW, then things would be different.

Good luck to everyone from RDU east. I hope you get a good one.

The changeover in the Upstate is at the Gaffney, Boiling Springs, TR area which is way ahead of schedule for the NAM. 850's are solidly below freezing in the northern upstate and 925's are right at freezing so this is a very good sign in my opinion.

Back