• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

Several runs of the NAM yesterday were spitting out .6-.7" qpf for the Triad. This morning's NAM just gave my BY a paltry .17"!

Agreed. That's pretty horrible. I've gotten NAM'D! This is essentially a non-event for clt. Wow. Kuchera below.

1582206934795.png

I allowed myself to get suckered by the NAM. That will never happen again. It is what it is. I will enjoy whatever comes my way today, but I'm not expecting much.
It's easy to do. There are lots of opinions that get posted about how the NAM is better since the upgrade or why it's realistic with whatever, but just going from years of experience watching that model, it almost always seems to overdo precipitation amounts at lead and then back off as you move in, when snow is involved. I don't usually watch it that closely outside of winter events, but I assume it probably does the same. I use the NAM as a pretty good indicator of thermals, but I don't put a lot of stock in it's QPF outside of 12-24 hours...and even that can sometimes result in error. They don't call it getting Nam'd for nothing.

So the NAM did get the 925 layer close between 6Z and 12Z, but the 850s are cooler at 12Z than 6Z.

850th.us_se.png

850th.us_se.png

12z Nam is much flatter and faster. Less precip in NC so far. Probably going to be similar to other models with the snowfall output now.
Still looks great (especially 3km) for places like Raleigh eastward .. with nice heavy bands and a clear back building trend at the end

Just so everyone is clear: I am referring to my back yard. Some folks are going to do very well today. Of that I have no doubt. But for the NW Piedmont, it's probably going to finish on the low side. I'll be more than happy to have a pie of crow if I am wrong.

Back