• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

Initial BL is major issue, it's showing rain with this sounding and this one is imby which rates aren't that heavy during this time, which isn't helping cool the lower levels either. Hate to see qpf wasted on white rain

Hopefully wont be losing much QPF to rain, once rates get good it will be IP/SN mix at worst, heck they already report IP etc under the heavier returns to the SW and we have a better profile here than there already....the real issue is cooling the surface and that's where the banding precip comes in, in my experience any kind of decent rates will push the surface temp to freezing, by mid afternoon at the latest we should see accumulating snow, if we can get 75% of the QPF to fall frozen and stick we are golden.

12z hrrr showing the rain/snow line just south of uptown clt into the upstate by 1pm. if it verifies then upstate to clt could see some decent totals. if you look at the coor coefficient line in radarscope you can see it moving south this morning. currently just north of charlotte.
hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_6.png

12z hrrr showing the rain/snow line just south of uptown clt into the upstate by 1pm. if it verifies then upstate to clt could see some decent totals. if you look at the coor coefficient line in radarscope you can see it moving south this morning. currently just north of charlotte.
hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_6.png
What website or source do you use for the coor coefficient? I have the radarscope app but can not find it. starting to think it's under their Pro or Pro 2 setting that you have to pay more for. That is a very useful tool to watch the rain snow line today.

What website or source do you use for the coor coefficient? I have the radarscope app but can not find it. starting to think it's under their Pro or Pro 2 setting that you have to pay more for. That is a very useful tool to watch the rain snow line today.
it is under dual pol

I read last night that it is no longer ran parallel and a new HRRR4 is supposed to be implemented later this year. Because of this not only does the current HRRR miss in transition zones (PBL mixing issues) but it also misses on northward extent of modeled reflectivity. Because of this I’m not considering how dry it is for areas west of I-95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I moved this post from @Jon from the call map thread to over here because it helps explain some of the possible issues with the HRRR, might also help ease some NW Piedmont folk's mind (@Poimen ) ;)

Call it wishcasting, call me a weenie, but I think the HRRR will continue to play catch up today and watch that accum map @SD shared above expand back west

hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_6.png
A few pellets of sleet here in Lake Wylie.

I moved this post from @Jon from the call map thread to over here because it helps explain some of the possible issues with the HRRR, might also help ease some NW Piedmont folk's mind (@Poimen ) ;)

Call it wishcasting, call me a weenie, but I think the HRRR will continue to play catch up today and watch that accum map @SD shared above expand back west

Thanks. I'm going to reserve further judgment until I see the NAMs. But, given that the RAP is in lock-step with the HRRR (re. qpf) for our area, I'm a bit concerned for our area. But again, they could both be ending the event too quickly here, so there's that.

Thanks. I'm going to reserve further judgment until I see the NAMs. But, given that the RAP is in lock-step with the HRRR (re. qpf) for our area, I'm a bit concerned for our area. But again, they could both be ending the event too quickly here, so there's that.
NAM might be tick less amped, gonna be a quick hitter, especially out your way unfortunately.... but you should be all snow

Back