• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

Cool how the SLP climbs to about ILM and pivots east. Some band is going to rake someone when that happens....probably NE 95 corridor over to PGV.

View attachment 35688

Verbatim that’s snow to ATL. Just tells me models are struggling with the details especially in the fringes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool how the SLP climbs to about ILM and pivots east. Some band is going to rake someone when that happens....probably NE 95 corridor over to PGV.

View attachment 35688

MHX seems to think we stay liquid most of the day only changing over later tomorrow evening. They give us 2 to 3.

As of 250 PM Wednesday...The calm before the storm on Thursday.
Low pressure develops off the northeast Florida coast and moves
offshore well to our SE while strengthening Thursday. NAM3km/HRRR
shows light rain returning to the CWA by mid-morning Thursday
with steady light rain continuing through the daylight hours.
Top- down ensemble precipitation type tool indicates that ptype
should remain liquid through 00z and surface temperatures remain
at 36 degrees or higher over the northwestern corner of the CWA
and closer to 40 degrees elsewhere. Highs will likely occur
around midday with slowly falling afternoon temperatures. N/NE
winds will remain gusty on Thursday.

The happy hour GFS is looking more amped from before. Maybe it's catching on.

Edit: it still works like a vacuum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huntsville referenced the soundings in their AFD as to why they may have to get more bullish, so I imagine it’s the same for FFC. Given the way the moisture has ramped up for the I-20 corridor in the latest model runs it wouldn’t take much to create a decent event if the thermals ticked colder. But I must not allow myself to believe.
They are certainly more bullish than they were in the morning discussion. Latest SREF is not good, NAM12k still good, NAM3k pretty low.

well after this winter seeing this on the radar will be a win everyone will take no matter if you get a trace or 3"+.
gfs_ref_frzn_seus_5.png

I wonder if they see something in other models or the soundings. Interesting to see that
Could be covering their tail from the last storm we had a couple weekends ago. In the previous post of mine I’ve said all along that this so close for north Georgia. Rome to canton to Gainesville ( I think it was the nam that started seeing within 12 hours that we were going to get more than a dusting because all the local news were saying a dusting ) I do think this storm will have some surprises. The heavier rains could actually pull the temps down and change it to snow and I think that’s what they are seeing as cold air continues to come in

They are certainly more bullish than they were in the morning discussion. Latest SREF is not good, NAM12k still good, NAM3k pretty low.
SREF is starting back up..has a mean of 1.21 for Chatt and 6 members over 2 inch..for Meridianville the mean is back over half an inch, a good bit more than the airport

wcnc futurecast tomorrow at 4. i'll take this. latest nam holds off our changeover until after 5pm though.
ERKyoc5XsAA3tk5
In the past this model has often showed rain where Brad P. would be forecasting snow, and he would dismiss the solution as having a warm error. It’s good to see this model having the changeover complete at 4 for the whole metro area. There should be another 6-8 hours of precipitation after this.

In the past this model has often showed rain where Brad P. would be forecasting snow, and he would dismiss the solution as having a warm error. It’s good to see this model having the changeover complete at 4 for the whole metro area. There should be another 6-8 hours of precipitation after this.

Yeah, that looks great for the whole Metro and it looks to be coming down hard. But if that map comes to fruition, you would think he would up his totals some. For people like us in Union County, it's so close to that dreaded rain line.

Yeah, that looks great for the whole Metro and it looks to be coming down hard. But if that map comes to fruition, you would think he would up his totals some. For people like us in Union County, it's so close to that dreaded rain line.
I’m not sure where you in Union County, but I’m in Wingate and I’ve said several times that I wouldn’t be surprised to see us get in on the deform band for a time tomorrow night. I’ve seen it a few times with this set up.

Back