• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

Similarities end in regard to this one vs 2014. In 2014, cold air was already established and had a double high... One in the NE and another in the MW. The 2014 event ended up being a significant ice storm down here with as much as 0.75" ice accretion on elevated surfaces.
Yeah, I remember two waves of wintry precip in that one.. Sorry, was just curious about compare/contrast..

Yeah, I remember two waves of wintry precip in that one.. Sorry, was just curious about compare/contrast..

Not a problem. I compared some past SC events earlier with reanalysis maps from some prior notable storms and couldn't find too much of a similar match.

While I'm typing, I noticed something strange with the 850mb low on both the NAM12 AND NAM3... The semblance of an 850mb low seems to take shape around NE GA but actually propagates ESE thru and off Charleston by late THU/early FRI AM.

In the upstate I could see this starting as a mix, then ascthermals crash down it turns to all snow

My fear is it ends as light rain/sleet with warm nose coming up out of Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe 2/11/14? Others have compared to that in here (like @Myfrotho704_ ). The overrunning thump turned out to be more than modeled. I was up close to your way that year and was expecting more on the next day, but by about the early afternoon, there was 4" of snow on the ground and it was misting (as it had wrapped up).

Anyway, not to have this totally off topic, I hope for everyone's sake that this warmer trend stops.

In a good spot here N Randolph County. 2-6 county wide looks like a solid bet. Thats being conservative. I can envision perfect set up and far eastern , esp SE corner part of county making a run at a 6-10 lollipop. Solid thermals and very encouraging qpf trends up to .5+

See if we can hold the fort at 6z and 12z on the cam models qpf and thermal wise. But I like where things sit at the moment

Back