• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

Fill your bath tub if your on a well tonight and charge your phones. I always have flushing ahead of heat on my prepardness checklist.

Fortunately, I’m on county water and septic.

Side Note... Hoping this will be a nothing burger. However, Three family members in a one mile radius are prepared in our own individual way. Generators, food, gas, propane, charcoal, board games, ALCOHOL, etc

Last edited:
cbab1522826d305d191e4627b56ac463.jpg

Between 2 and 3 inches in Haleyville, AL. Mostly rain now with temp of 31.6 on my Ambiant weather station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the latest obs from AWC overlaid w/ some wet bulb temps based on latest obs. Based on the excel file I shared earlier w/ all those ZR soundings from KGSO, you usually need to see the sfc wet bulb get down to about 30°F to start having serious problems. The Triad & Va border counties are basically already there and the continued cold advection and radiational cooling through the night will likely knock these numbers back even further. RDU & Charlotte still have a lot of work to do however

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.27.11 PM.png

Even having a degree in Meteorology, most times I'm thankful not having to forecast winter storms in Charlotte. This one is a slam dunk though, just like this entire winter. Grab your umbrella, jacket, and prepare to drive to work in the morning. I can't wait to build a cabin above 5000' and get out of this boring city! Sorry Admins/Mods, totally belongs in banter. My bad.

35.6/23 West of Winston
After a high of 43 early this afternoon, we quickly dropped down to hover between 34.5 and 36.5 for the past 4 hours; but the dewpoint has been slowly dropping from 26+ down to 23.

With the ground really saturated, I'd prefer not to be grouped in with Roxboro for ice totals over 0.5". They can keep their winter weather magnet to themselves. I have enough trees on the ground to limb and buck right now without adding more.

I really like pretty postcards of a little ice on the trees but the nowcast needs to start going in the right direction. ;)
That being said, we're prepared for the mess we may face.

Smarter people-where do you go to see where the waa line is at? Sleet not letting up and just busted my ass on the sidewalk taking my dogs out. Roads are absolutely covered too.

Back