• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

Yep, oth the lighter ZR you're sseing is a lot more likely to stick on elevated surfaces per capita than moderate-heavy freezing rain.

Yeah that’s right. Good news is if radar don’t fill in some I don’t see it getting to dangerous levels here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaze on everything here...and it’s windy. Start the countdown.
Caught a heavy Gusty downpour on way to work. Icey all the way up to Gboro Grass, trees, power lines.Everything was frozen
The Roads where just wet , never slid but I was only going 50-55. Hardly any other traffic much at all. It appears it catching, freezing on everything.

Good morning all, still a lot of snow on the ground here at 33. Looking at reports, a sharp cutoff to all rain at airport and Whitesburg. A local meteorologist posted this

“I can’t recall where there was 5” of snow in one place, drive 20 miles, and there’s nothing. That’s what happened in Madison County. We knew there would be a sharp line, but wow!”

29.8 here. I just stepped outside and I can hear the familiar noise of tree limbs crackling under the ice--so I guess I have some accrual already.

I have a little flag in the front yard. Never really accrued ice last time, but its already turned into a sheet of cardboard today.

And yea that crackling sound of the ice on the limbs is present. Again.

Thunder/Lightening reports along with heavy rain back towards Asheville/ SW NC Past hour

Very curious to see what the 12z sounding from GSO looks like here this morning. The 0z 3km NAM is a little bit more bullish w/ the warm nose, showing it peaking above +10°C. Need to hit +11.5°C or above for at least one of the levels to get a new record strong warm nose for a ZR event at KGSO. Gonna be close for sure

1613647567155.png

For all you right on the edge, the temp is actually still dropping a little this morning. So if your only getting rain that could change soon.

Yep, just dropped to 30 myself. Brad Panovich kept talking about we had the mechanisms in place to sustain this event but people were concerned that the ------ HRRR wAsNt ShOWiNg aCcUmULaTiOnS.

Also, you can hear the sound of the glaze already on the trees with the breeze that’s blowing. We just had a 13 MPH gust and while normally you might not even notice that, you and I both know in a freezing rain event, that’s bad news.

Just snapped this pic. Intersection 40/Gallimore Dairy rd Greensboro. Icecickels hanging off power lines weighing down fast. Zoom in. Gonna be a mess power wise here in an hour or so

Attachments

• 20210218_063047.jpg
    20210218_063047.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
Yep, just dropped to 30 myself. Brad Panovich kept talking about we had the mechanisms in place to sustain this event but people were concerned that the ------ HRRR wAsNt ShOWiNg aCcUmULaTiOnS.

Also, you can hear the sound of the glaze already on the trees with the breeze that’s blowing. We just had a 13 MPH gust and while normally you might not even notice that, you and I both know in a freezing rain event, that’s bad news.

Yeah that wind from the north is bring down those lower dew points. I'm at 31 now. Henderson is NE of me and they're at 28 this morning.

Back