• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Feb 17-19 Smastsmasher Snow/Ice

Yep, just dropped to 30 myself. Brad Panovich kept talking about we had the mechanisms in place to sustain this event but people were concerned that the ------ HRRR wAsNt ShOWiNg aCcUmULaTiOnS.

Also, you can hear the sound of the glaze already on the trees with the breeze that’s blowing. We just had a 13 MPH gust and while normally you might not even notice that, you and I both know in a freezing rain event, that’s bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The HRRR should be largely ignored in CAD events.

Here’s the foothill split! May be saving grace here.
8e7f3d5ad056a1f05d7ff5c5fb4d631b.jpg

I just got my first glimpse of the ice here with daybreak. I'm estimating a solid .10 on the tree limbs at eye level. Also, the concrete path from driveway to front door is slick as snot--I almost lost it. That didn't happen last time.

Here’s the foothill split!
8e7f3d5ad056a1f05d7ff5c5fb4d631b.jpg

Makes sense, the angle of the deeper low-mid level flow looks to be slightly favoring downsloping if anything in the far NW piedmont near Wilkes & Surry Co. The lift afforded by the CAD dome itself should offset some of that but I'm hoping it helps you avoid getting your power knocked out

31.6 been as low as 31.1 and icy, no time to take a measurement but definitely more ice in trees and on powerlines then the previous 2 minor zr events. At least .1 as some pine and cedar tree limbs are sagging

Ouch... I'd love to see a measurement up your way at some point, you're in a data sparse part of the state near the eastern edge of this thing.

Back