• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Fall - End of 2019 Whamby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some folks never learn.

FailV3 =

View attachment 27231

I wish these guys producing these maps would write in a switch statement to decide if it's zr, sleet, rain, or snow. Like, I get that the models aren't very good on their own.. its like they literally grab the "ptype_06hr" parameter and just output it directly knowing the model internally counts everything frozen in any form as snow.

Like seriously. Pseudo-code:

if 850mb temp is greater than 0.3c, look to see if rain or zr using thermal profile closer to surface.
if 850mb temp is 0.1c or lower, look to see if thermal profile supports snow to surface, sleet, or zr.
if sfc_temp is 0c or lower, and thermal structure is a torch, ZR.

for example..

And as far as being reported for banter, that's legit I suppose. I thought about moving it to the whamby but I figured it would be moved regardless if the mods decided it to be banter.

But don't worry about me. I'm an old hat at these forums. I can take it lol!

No worries. Your long post was what everyone's likely thinking for the most part. It starts to get dangerous when people who don't know better listen and believe certain things that aren't true.

I have a feeling the whamby thread will be rocking today..??

MildAnimatedGar-size_restricted.gif

Honestly, getting suckered into thinking rainstorms are snowstorms is part of the fun. If they all worked out then this would be the upstate NY forum and not the southeast forum. I think it’s a lot of fun watching people’s dreams get crushed, but that’s just me. I’m an a**hole. And I saw several inches of snow on the ground yesterday so I’m good either way.

No doubt. I just let me more knowledgeable people speak up, especially the ones who have lived down here all their lives and know the patterns inside and out. Now I'm more than happy to talk about nor'easters and Alberta clippers, have plenty experience with those. My last winter in the northeast (2010-2011) was a nightmare, especially January (snowiest month in history in CT, 54 inches!). It definitely played a part in me moving down here.
Well, you won’t find much snow down here unless you’re on the nw slopes of the Appalachian mountains in TN/NC. If you never wanted to see snow again, you’ve moved to the right place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back