• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Fall - End of 2019 Whamby

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 26511

Copy/pasting since 2003.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always try to figure out where in the world the JAMSTEC thinks the cold air is going to come from when all the earth is a torch as it depicts? Lol

Yeap folks still think the climate hasn’t changed since the 80s when we actually had winter. The background state is much warmer now and the SE maybe getting one or two frozen events a year is not a reality anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't kid yourself into thinking the 80's winters where any different than the ones we've had from 1990- 2019. We received AN stretches and no snowfall. They where just as prevalent then but skewed by 5-10 day historic cold spell or a few decent big dogs sprinkled in. It was as up and down then as it is now. We are just coming off a 2-3 year bad period. You'll be hard to find wall to wall cold looking back. It's a rare thing. Doesn't mean it cant and hasn't happened.

Van Denton In Greensboro released his winter outlook this evening. He’s going with above average snow, and he’s going with below average temps December, January and February with wild temperature swings in March. I think It looks reasonable 85 north but south, meh, I don’t see Mack getting 6-10 inches of snow. We need more of a Wake county gradient.View attachment 26491

I'd personally hedge my bets towards the seasonal snowfall gradient between areas like GSO vs RDU & CLT being a lot larger than normal (which is usually 3-4" ish). This is often the theme in +ENSO winters, this decade in particular has featured a larger than usual seasonal gradient between the Triad & Triangle, and it also seems to be the long-term basic state tendency locally since the early-mid 20th century.

I'd personally hedge my bets towards the seasonal snowfall gradient between areas like GSO vs RDU & CLT being a lot larger than normal (which is usually 3-4" ish). This is often the theme in +ENSO winters, this decade in particular has featured a larger than usual seasonal gradient between the Triad & Triangle, and it also seems to be the long-term basic state tendency locally since the early-mid 20th century.

To add insult to injury, the 2010s will mark the first decade since the 1880s where Raleigh did not see a single winter w/ at least 10" of snow. #wesuck

To add insult to injury, the 2010s will mark the first decade since the 1880s where Raleigh did not see a single winter w/ at least 10" of snow. #wesuck

When u look also at Charlotte, 2 of the 3 decades on record where 10" of snow wasn't observed in at least one winter have also been 2 of the 3 most recent decades (1990s & 2010s). Furthermore, there have only been 2 winters since 1990 (1990-2019) (2002-03 & 2003-04) where 10"+ of snow was seen in a single season. Over the previous 30 winters (1960-1989), 11 were observed.

Ugh :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back