• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

I really don't get where some of you think that there can't be accumulating snow during the day in March. I've seen it accumulate during the day in late march several times in my life here in the Upstate of SC. One of those was March 25th, 10 inches, began at 11:15 in the morning.
Its gotta be snowing really hard for it to accumulate during the daytime in March.

FV3 going for a strong and steady block in an almost perfect position on the 6z and 12z. If that’s the start of the trend I’ve been watching for, and IF we can get the atrociously awful abysmally absurd aggravatingly abominable Pacific to change it up, we would get some excitement going up in this mug.

FV3 going for a strong and steady block in an almost perfect position on the 6z and 12z. If that’s the start of the trend I’ve been watching for, and IF we can get the atrociously awful abysmally absurd aggravatingly abominable Pacific to change it up, we would get some excitement going up in this mug.
Grand Banks vortex will save us!!

Webber, are the models still not picking up on the mjo moving? Imo its kinda shocking to see this stubborn pattern persist despite the mjo moving to phases we havent seen in a while.

I’ve also seen it snow all day long in March. with no accumulation supposed to be the sun angle. But I’ve also seen snow sticking In May on the blue ridge parkway in North Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that would be rare. I don't ever remember any time that it snowed all day with no accumulation. I've seen it snow all day with no accumulation on the roads, as the temperature remained well above freezing, but on grassy and elevated surfaces.....no.

I would say that would be rare. I don't ever remember any time that it snowed all day with no accumulation. I've seen it snow all day with no accumulation on the roads, as the temperature remained sell above freezing, but on grassy and elevated surfaces.....no.
Seen it snow in the CONUS in July ... but believe me, it was not in the SE ... :eek:

I would say that would be rare. I don't ever remember any time that it snowed all day with no accumulation. I've seen it snow all day with no accumulation on the roads, as the temperature remained well above freezing, but on grassy and elevated surfaces.....no.

I want to say it was March 2009 or 2010. Jimmy hypocrisy I’m sure remembers when it snowed all day in March and did not stick

I want to say it was March 2009 or 2010. Jimmy hypocrisy I’m sure remembers when it snowed all day in March and did not stick

March 2009 it snowed all day in Carrollton, GA. Hours and hours of thundersnow. And it maybe accumulated to 1/2". Light to moderate snow with marginal temps just wont cut it during the daytime in March.

If it’s lightly snowing at 33 in March, it will probably not stick very well. But if it’s snowing moderately or heavily at 30 or less, it’s going to pile up. The sun angle is higher and the ground is generally warmer in March. But rates and temps will overcome that, fairly easily, too.

If it’s lightly snowing at 33 in March, it will probably not stick very well. But if it’s snowing moderately or heavily at 30 or less, it’s going to pile up. The sun angle is higher and the ground is generally warmer in March. But rates and temps will overcome that, fairly easily, too.

I kid you not, during the 3/1/09 storm, the temp hovered around 35 and the snow stuck. Wasn't a lot but it was about a dusting to 1/2 inch.

If its 30 or less moderate may work, but in my experience 31-33 with even moderate snow wont get the job done on a March afternoon

That March 2009 storm, an ULL, yielded 3 plus inches in my part of Upstate SC. Roughly 65 miles NW of Columbia. Snow will accumulate with temps near 32 in March. Also, March 83, late into the month, it accumulated more than that. So, in my 42 years, I’ve seen at least 6 storms produce ground cover in the month of March in SC.

Its gotta be snowing really hard for it to accumulate during the daytime in March.

No it doesn’t. If not, how did way on down in SAV it accumulate 1.1” on 3/1/1986 from just 0.15” of liquid equivalent in the daytime hours from several hours of fairly light snow falling?

Also, SAV got its 2nd alltime heaviest snow (and it was very heavy 8”++) on 3/4/1837 with what likely was a good portion falling during the daytime though that was falling heavily as it was 8 hours in duration meaning 1”+/Hour.

This talk about snow having a lot of trouble accumulating during the day in March even in places like ATL is totally bogus when considering places well south and east like SAV have gotten good accumulations even in early March.

**Corrected: the 8”+ in SAV was on 3/4/1837.

No it doesn’t. If not, how did way on down in SAV it accumulate 1.1” on 3/1/1986 from just 0.15” of liquid equivalent in the daytime hours from several hours of fairly light snow falling?

Also, SAV got its 2nd alltime heaviest snow (and it was very heavy 8”++) on 3/4/1837 with what likely was a good portion falling during the daytime though that was falling heavily as it was 8 hours in duration meaning 1”+/Hour.

This talk about snow having a lot of trouble accumulating during the day in March even in places like ATL is totally bogus when considering places well south and east like SAV have gotten good accumulations even in early March.

**Corrected: the 8”+ in SAV was on 3/4/1837.
What was the temp when it was snowing in Savannah in March 1986?

Back