• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

Hope everyone has gravel in their gut, cause next winter is gonna be a duplicate of this one, if not a smidge milder. No bones about El Nino is the early guess. Be able to smell the air coming from Hawaii D,J,F into March.

Well maybe my SOI theory will be wrong. Lol damn that’s an impressive ridge.
Not to sound negative here but I deal with this index in my masters research and that’s because the soi is literally the noisiest and the worst index to use if you’re measuring tropical forcing, I don’t honestly know why people pay so much attention to it because we have much better ways to measure tropical forcing now than we did in the early-mid 20th century. The only real use the SOI has is for comparison of ancient ENSO events but even then I’d urge everyone to use it sparingly because you have to use very large smoothing filters to even get a signal. Point based indices like the SOI suck, there’s no getting around that fact, area averaging like EQ SOI, NIÑO 3.4, etc are better and those that use EOFs over a given region are arguably even better.

Reactions: ajr
12Z GEFS: ugly almost til the end: can you say warmest El Nino on record in the SE?

Well at least the one positive is spring will get an early start, if it's not going to snow and be cold then bring on the 70s. I'm sure the EPS and Euro run today will be quite toasty too.

This winter is/was undoubtedly an El Niño winter despite what the North American pattern looks like. I already said this several days ago but the big reason we’re warm right now is actually because a more formidable El Niño is trying to come on for the upcoming year, the pattern response in Feb and Mar from west-central Pacific convection/-SOI is actually for warmth in the SE US... The seasonal cycle and jet wavelengths matter a lot and people and pro mets alike ignore them assuming that the same forcing at different times of the year provides the same result and it clearly doesn’t, this feb is another fine example of that.

Last 20 runs of the GEFS for Day 10. Ridge was consistently modeled but as Larry has pointed out its verifying much stronger.
0a90ced06c5b4d8072cfdcfbf94b2180.gif

Still, with that said, I don’t see a trough modeled in that sampling.

IF the GEFS is correct, we are moving toward the pattern change.

5-day
d544db3a0c0da6d4b94d34309c3105ad.jpg

11-16 day, look at the pacific. Completely different here.
1dff3cc8d77d89bedd8a99f558fc0712.jpg

This is a smoothed 5 day mean, so it has Day 11 in there, which is this
8f96984cc43965e9d0380a8b0384c79f.jpg

I know it’s a long way away, but 2/28 forward seems doable. At least for cold. I have my doubts a ridge will suddenly pop for this period solely due to the fact that we are finally getting rid of the pacific ridge.
44cd55f9c045ea04c765799bea484154.gif

Of course, the euro has left little to be excited about. If I was a betting man, I’d be team EPS. I really hope the Euro EPS caves soon or we are in trouble.

I still think for a SE snow we need a -NAO at this point, and models aren’t bringing that around any time soon. Maybe the biggest question is do you want an early spring or normal temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post, Jon.

The FV3 will give you all the -NAO you want...if you just wait long enough:

222.jpg

384.jpg

The funny thing is, that last image is pretty much right on target with the look that JB has been predicting would take place from 2/15 - 3/15. The models show it from time to time, but they never get there.

Last edited:
The only real positive large-scale takeaway in the long range continues to be the equatorward propagation of the Atlantic jet next week and cyclonic wave breaking near the Azores, which means we're going to make a big push to crank out a legitimate -NAO at the tail end of February into early March.

Remember, there's supposed to be a subtropical high in the means over the Azores, putting a big trough there will instigate an atmospheric traffic jam that may lead to significant Greenland blocking down the line but we'll see.
ecmwf-ens_z500a_atl_11.png

Good post, Jon.

The FV3 will give you all the -NAO you want...if you just wait long enough:

View attachment 15653

View attachment 15654

The funny thing is, that last image is pretty much right on target with the look that JB has been predicting would take place from 2/15 - 3/15. The models show it from time to time, but they never get there.

Yep. FV3 with a big fat -NAO bias
315c1b548eb2baf7b448c2ce1aa82a32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Throughout the entire 12 Euro, it can be summarized as SER dominated with warmth on all days except the cold wedgie days in CAD areas.

Very impressed here. That was a legit gust front. Rain was totally sideways and beating the windows. It was that type of beating on the windows that makes you second guess their strength haha.

I’d compare it to the wind that came through here with Michael. Maybe more intense than that.

There were numerous wind reports across the southern half of the ATL metro (including here)

There was even a Tornado Waening issued for Clayton County.

Sadly, there was no lightning with the line (other than one lone strike around Macon).

Back