• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Fabulous February

CHA on the verge of breaking the all-time precip record for Nov-Feb. As of a few minutes ago, the precip total stands at 34.55 inches which ties with Nov 1960 - Feb 1961 for 2nd wettest. Just another 0.15 inches today ties the all time record, 0.16 inches to break it.

This morning is a perfect example of the KATL heat island. I’m 28 and they are 41.

Some interesting studies on heat islands, one by NASA in 2010 had some information on how drastic the difference can be. I know that when I travel to work I often will see the temp start rising anywhere from 2-5 degrees as I head into town.
The compact city of Providence, R.I., for example, has surface temperatures that are about 12.2 °C (21.9 °F) warmer than the surrounding countryside, while similarly-sized but spread-out Buffalo, N.Y., produces a heat island of only about 7.2 °C (12.9 °F), according to satellite data. Since the background ecosystems and sizes of both cities are about the same, Zhang's analysis suggests development patterns are the critical difference.

She found that land cover maps show that about 83 percent of Providence is very or moderately densely-developed. Buffalo, in contrast, has dense development patterns across just 46 percent of the city. Providence also has dense forested areas ringing the city, while Buffalo has a higher percentage of farmland. "This exacerbates the effect around Providence because forests tend to cool areas more than crops do," explained Wolfe. https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/heat-island-sprawl.html

February is now over so here is my February report.

Temperature:
Max:78.8 (Feb 7)
Min: 25.9 (Feb 1)
Times Below Freezing: 3 (Feb 1,2,14)
Times Above 70: 2 (Feb 5,7)

Precipitation:
Monthly Total: 6.57 inches (+1.3)
Rainiest Day: 1.59 inches (Feb 19)
DJF Total: 27.11 inches (+11.9)

Just let this soak for a moment. No words.

FEBRUARY FACT: It was a mild and wet February across Alabama. One interesting factoid is that the Birmingham Airport did not fall below 32 degrees during the month of February. This is the first time since records began in Birmingham that the temperature did fall below freezing in February.

Back