• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Eta

You're surprised the pressure of 927 mb is that "high"? This is the strongest of the entire season and is lower than even most of, if not all of the HWRF runs. How low did you really expect?

The presentation definitely has a sub-900 look. Here's a comparison of Patricia and Wilma...it looks even more organized.

The presentation definitely has a sub-900 look. Here's a comparison of Patricia and Wilma...it looks even more organized.

Maybe Eta is a smaller/more compact storm than the others? Wouldn't that mean a similar look but not as insanely low pressure?

Background surrounding pressures may be higher in this case (corrected). If higher, then a similar look and similar winds could mean not as low pressure.

We need to keep in mind just how low 927 mb is and how .rare sub 900 is. Besides, this may get even stronger and they missed the eye apparently??

Maybe Eta is a smaller/more compact storm than the others? Wouldn't that mean a similar look but not as insanely low pressure?

Background surrounding pressures may be higher in this case.

We need to keep in mind just how low 927 mb is and how .rare sub 900 is. Besides, this may get even stronger and they missed the eye apparently??

Wouldn't compact storms more closely relate to windspeeds since the pressure gradient would be tighter with these small compact storms?

Wouldn't compact storms more closely relate to windspeeds since the pressure gradient would be tighter with these small compact storms?

I think it is the opposite. More compact/smaller would mean you can get the same winds with higher pressure. OTOH, huge storms sometimes have very low pressure but not very high winds.

So, do you know what the radius of tropical storm force as well as H force winds was with Wilma and Patricia and how they compare to Eta?

UXFxxRV.png

You're surprised the pressure of 927 mb is that "high"? This is the strongest of the entire season and is lower than even most of, if not all of the HWRF runs. How low did you really expect?

Well it doesn't change anything for poor Central America but there were plenty of people expecting way lower

I think it is the opposite. More compact/smaller would mean you can get the same winds with higher pressure. OTOH, huge storms sometimes have very low pressure but not very high winds.

So, do you know what the radius of tropical storm force as well as H force winds was with Wilma and Patricia and how they compare to Eta?

Pretty much what I'm trying to say....the winds they found weren't as impressive as I expected either considering the compactness of the storm...I guess it could be possible the storm's winds and central pressure hasn't caught up to it's own presentation.

Probably missed the center a tad bit had 17 knts on the eye drop so maybe 923/924mb is closer to the pressure....tough to hit the center when the eye is so small they fly through it in less than a minute....

URNT12 KNHC 030242
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL292020
A. 03/02:16:00Z
B. 14.10 deg N 082.55 deg W
C. 700 mb 2469 m
D. 928 mb
E. 090 deg 17 kt
F. CLOSED
G. C6
H. 124 kt
I. 346 deg 3 nm 02:15:00Z
J. 076 deg 123 kt
K. 352 deg 5 nm 02:14:30Z
L. 130 kt
M. 190 deg 4 nm 02:17:30Z
N. 280 deg 137 kt
O. 193 deg 5 nm 02:18:00Z
P. 10 C / 3051 m
Q. 21 C / 2995 m
R. -4 C / NA
S. 12345 / 07
T. 0.02 / 0.5 nm
U. AF304 0429A ETA OB 07
MAX FL WIND 137 KT 193 / 5 NM 02:18:00Z
;
928 mb/17 kts.

The most interesting part is how strong is the winds in the NE quadrant?

Kind of surprised that the pressure wasn't lower given the presentation but it doesn't change the situation. Just bad for the people in Nicaragua and Honduras.

BULLETIN
Hurricane Eta Advisory Number 10
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL292020
1000 PM EST Mon Nov 02 2020

...AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTERS FIND THAT ETA HAS CONTINUED
TO RAPIDLY STRENGTHEN AS IT APPROACHES NORTHEASTERN NICARAGUA...
...LIFE-THREATENING STORM SURGE, CATASTROPHIC WINDS, FLASH FLOODING,
AND LANDSLIDES EXPECTED ACROSS PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AMERICA...

SUMMARY OF 1000 PM EST...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...14.1N 82.7W
ABOUT 70 MI...115 KM SSE OF CABO GRACIAS A DIOS ON NIC/HON BORDER
ABOUT 45 MI...75 KM E OF PUERTO CABEZAS NICARAGUA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...150 MPH...240 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WSW OR 245 DEGREES AT 7 MPH...11 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...927 MB...27.38 INCHES
Pressure down to 927 mb.

Back