• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dry July 2024

The Sea Breeze is the ticket to summer. Gals wearing sweatshirts tonight. I shudder to think what awaits us as we cross back over the bridge Saturday. Saw Fayetteville hit over 100 today. Ouch

Another day of triple digits at RDU!!! 🔥

Back in the 1980s, it would’ve been 95, tops!!!
At my house close to the research station for NCSU near Lake Wheeler the high today was 97 degrees. I can not for the life of me see why the National Weather Service accepts the temperature readings at KRDU when they consistently run three to five degrees above nearby stations and are now the warmest in the state on many days.

Wooohooo picked up .11 last night with those dying evening storms. Messed up fireworks plan but I'll take any rain I can get. Although I'm sure by 2:00 this afternoon I'll be going " what rain?". Excessive heat warning today 🔥🔥🔥
RDU probably hit 104 today 🙄

Wooohooo picked up .11 last night with those dying evening storms. Messed up fireworks plan but I'll take any rain I can get. Although I'm sure by 2:00 this afternoon I'll be going " what rain?". Excessive heat warning today 🔥🔥🔥

Yep I'm sure it's going to post some absurd temp today but with 850s 21-22c there shouldn't be a huge number of 100+ reports

It very well could. The airports "point and click" grid forecast:

1720179388002.png

Yep forecasting to the sensor.... any who it is what it is lol
This has been going on for some time. Apparently, a calibration from last year didn't work.

This article was from last year (have to be a Spectrum customer to read it):

Copied pasted content:​

Why has the Raleigh-Durham airport been so hot this week?​

By Meteorologist Lee Ringer Raleigh
PUBLISHED 3:00 PM ET Sep. 08, 2023

There is no doubt that this first week of September has been hot across North Carolina.
However, most days this week, the official weather reporting site for the Triangle area stuck out like a sore thumb on the statewide temperature map.

What You Need To Know

• The high was 102 at the Raleigh-Durham Airport Wednesday and Thursday
  • Most other sites in central North Carolina reported highs in the mid and upper 90s
  • The drier clay soil around RDU has likely been a large factor in the airport thermometer running hotter than other locations this week

The Raleigh-Durham airport's afternoon temperature has been hotter than pretty much anywhere else in North Carolina every day this week.
WxWeb090823rduA

Wednesday and Thursday's high of 102 were the hottest days this year in the Raleigh area.
Compare that to temperatures at the Fayetteville airport, which often is one of the hottest spots in the state.
WxWeb090823rduB

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has confirmed that the temperature sensor at RDU has recently been calibrated, and they are confident that it providing accurate readings. Other nearby thermometers have been just as hot.
In the last four weeks, areas around RDU have seen less than an inch of rain. During the same time, other communities around Raleigh have measured over four inches.
The drier clay soil around the airport has been heating up like a parking lot and is likely a big factor why RDU has been hotter than other weather reporting sites, even in Durham and Raleigh.
Regardless of just how hot your thermometer read this week, this weekend and next week should not be as hot across the state.

Back