• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Are y’all trying to weaponize the SER in the weather forum .. we get it it’s going to be warm we all thought December would be warm .. we got faked out here and there for a time but aside from some wudges we going to be warm for December .. this ain’t peak climo anyway so it’s not a huge loss as we are used to the warm and slow start to winter as most every winter aside from the December 8 storm a while back has been the same. Let’s talk potential for rain and severe weather and not oh look at this slap in the FACE!, winter canceled, golf course at Christmas?, next , looks like it’ll never end!, is this may?, 2011, we all knew this was coming kick can!
We’re wasting away the best climo in a La Niña, maritime continent forcing in jan/feb becomes even more putrid, I’m ready for the 2 week period of winter in January followed by a SER and that’s what I’m holding my hope on

I just noticed that GSP has CLT forecast to tie a record high of 75 on Friday. The record is from 1998 and in looking at that year I found some very interesting correlation to this year. It was a LaNina and the fall had been very similar to this year with an average September, very warm October, and cool November. December’s pattern was much like the very warm pattern we’re expecting the next 2-3 weeks., but it flipped right around the 21st, there was a significant ice storm for NC and the SC upstate that ended as a dusting of snow on Christmas morning. After a brief moderation, there was another ice storm right after New Years followed by a fairly cold couple of weeks then another warm stretch the 2nd half of January and the first week of February. Then the pattern turned quite cold after that with several winter weather events outside of the mountains into early March.

I just noticed that GSP has CLT forecast to tie a record high of 75 on Friday. The record is from 1998 and in looking at that year I found some very interesting correlation to this year. It was a LaNina and the fall had been very similar to this year with an average September, very warm October, and cool November. December’s pattern was much like the very warm pattern we’re expecting the next 2-3 weeks., but it flipped right around the 21st, there was a significant ice storm for NC and the SC upstate that ended as a dusting of snow on Christmas morning. After a brief moderation, there was another ice storm right after New Years followed by a fairly cold couple of weeks then another warm stretch the 2nd half of January and the first week of February. Then the pattern turned quite cold after that with several winter weather events outside of the mountains into early March.
That, Sir, is a great post!

That, Sir, is a great post!
Just trying to point that winters can have total torch fests but still ended up decent. I’ve often said take away January 6-8, 1988 and that winter would maybe have been an all-time bust, instead most people that can remember it would say that was a very good winter

Just trying to point that winters can have total torch fests but still ended up decent. I’ve often said take away January 6-8, 1988 and that winter would maybe have been an all-time bust, instead most people that can remember it would say that was a very good winter
It's weather ... ;)

December isn’t gonna deliver better luck in January I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re wasting away the best climo in a La Niña, maritime continent forcing in jan/feb becomes even more putrid, I’m ready for the 2 week period of winter in January followed by a SER and that’s what I’m holding my hope on
Ive never seen more than a trace of snow here in December (1995-2001, 2012-2021). I may be off in the 90s, can't remember exactly. Probably different for people north of the wall.

We definitely have a ways to go. I will say this. No doubt in my mind this niña is becoming east based if it's not there already. It will be interesting to see if it with -qbo if we can flip this real warm pattern coming up.

Would love a repeat of this! Kicked off a good winter I’m assuming! The -40 to -60 windchills seem fun!1ECB09C1-14E8-4C5A-A8FB-42E74134B951.png946BA6B1-557C-45BA-839E-ED71EF2F2EE9.png

Back