• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

No chance this gets near 2015. This is nothing like that month, unless I start seeing really warm lows in the forecast this is the top 10 at best.
Lol H5 pattern does look similar on the longer range stuff which is crazy but doubt we’re that warm again, id say that H5 pattern reminds me more of 2020 79C6C41E-0AC1-4C0D-B639-86DDDB6F0B1E.pngDDA46D91-5821-44CE-A424-416447EC15EA.pngF4009AFE-DD00-4927-9A01-9882C5F2954E.gif

No chance this gets near 2015. This is nothing like that month, unless I start seeing really warm lows in the forecast this is the top 10 at best. Although 4th warmest sounds very breakable.

With the 30 year average being 44.6, this top 3 warm call (53+) means the call is for 8+ warmer than the new warmer 30 year normal, a very tough challenge. Let’s see what happens.

What's funny to me is 15-16 was a nino and everyone loves a nino for some reason

For cold preferrers, El Niño’s have averaged colder in DJF than neutral and La Niña in the bulk of the SE US based on longterm averages. Of course, the coldest are weak to moderate on average.

This La Niña though may end up only weak. That would give a higher chance at a BN DJF vs the chance with a stronger La Niña.

For cold preferrers, El Niño’s have averaged colder in DJF than neutral and La Niña in the bulk of the SE US based on longterm averages. Of course, the coldest are weak to moderate on average.

This La Niña though may end up only weak. That would give a higher chance at a BN DJF vs the chance with a stronger La Niña.

That was a suppa nino tho which often does suck
I was speaking more to the generalized statements that we start seeing in about June that equate to nino good, nina bad. Obviously there is data to support the claims, we do live in a region where a 14 day cold period and a big snow or 2 when in the midst of an overall warm winter leaves the memory of it being epic regardless of the enso state

I'll have to take a closer look at things and pull out actual numbers when I get a chance, but in a La Nina winter, it's generally not a good sign for snow lovers to see a warm/SE ridge/-PNA dominated December because it tends to only get less favorable from here, February is usually (but not always (1988-89 for ex)) a lost cause in winters like this. If this was an El Nino or neutral ENSO winter, I probably wouldn't be concerned (yet).

I'll have to take a closer look at things and pull out actual numbers when I get a chance, but in a La Nina winter, it's generally not a good sign for snow lovers to see a warm/SE ridge/-PNA dominated December because it tends to only get less favorable from here, February is usually (but not always (1988-89 for ex)) a lost cause in winters like this. If this was an El Nino or neutral ENSO winter, I probably wouldn't be concerned (yet).
Did we really get blanked in 75-76?

If we assume December ends up mild, there are two notable moderate La Niña winter exceptions with very mild December’s that had a cold month later when looking back to just 1950:

1971-2 had a cold Feb, the coldest of DJF by far.

1984-5 had the well know historically cold Jan!

I wouldn’t mind a drought going into next year with all these rebuilding bills that were passed we need dry warm weather for projects. Minus the fires. Lot of projects still behind from the past 3 wet years.

Did we really get blanked in 75-76?

Many in central NC walked away w/ at least 1-2 winter storms that season, the greatest seasonal snowfall totals east of the mountains were near the Triangle that year.

A snow event in late November 1975, ice storm on Christmas day, and a pair of nickel/dime snow events on January 17-18 & Feb 2-3 1976 were observed in 1975-76.
1638287539940.png

1984-5 is one weak to moderate La Niña very mild Dec exception to hope 2021-2 somewhat resembles for cold lovers:

Here are the MJO charts for then:

Very mild Dec 1984 (blue) was centered in mild MC:

2E86584E-D1A8-4713-A27E-A1EAC902E7F6.gif

Very cold Jan (red) was centered on cold phases:45663A29-EC8A-4D70-B52E-B80488AF1038.gif

If it wasn’t for that junk diving south north/NW of AK, that would be great for us but it totally kills us View attachment 96355
I didn't know it was so slow on wxbell vs tidbits. It's not a terrible look for some onset stuff but would probably go to poop post 180 with all the energy loading in the west.

Back