• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Any research out there that shows ice storms and drought having a connection? Would think with all the dry air and dry surface could trigger some wintery mix storms over cold rain esp E of the mtns. @Webberweather53

View attachment 97407
Well since Jan ‘88 was brought up, just thought I would give a friendly reminder of the 5H pattern as one of those “best case scenarios” for widespread SE storm. Interesting in that the EPO was very negative, although there were low heights along the west coast, and a very positive NAO. Some of our best storms are when we have low heights throughout the continent, allowing high presssure to keep storms suppressed and also allowing energy to easily ride underneath it from west to east.
Also remember that the AO was positive as well for that storm

More excellent work by BAMWX. Their forecast is laid out clear and concise.

Myself, I would not expect much of a chance of snow except in the mountains as the storm track could favor inland paths

Quick Question. How do you get access to these videos? Are they behind a paywall? I don't see them on the website, twitter, or youtube page.

Fog and swizzle in ATL, classic wedge, but only 49-53 degrees...

airT.png
airT.png

airT.png

acttemp_1280x720.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct… the problem with Miller As for CLT metro is just how sharp that cut off is on the NW edge. You can go from 4-6”+ to nothing in a matter of 10-15 miles, and usually CLT metro is on the wrong side of that. Every now and then a January 2002 will happen, but I would much rather take my chance with a Miller B

I think the ones that usually do work out for CLT are kind of a hybrid. They're Miller B's maybe technically, but they dig really south and transfer to our south off the coast taking almost a Miller A track. Those do ok sometimes. But true definitive Miller Bs that cut and transfer. Nope, not my cup of tea. Nope nope. ?

Back