• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Some notes about interesting times ahead, considering winter weather.

Even though, there is a La Nina, the STJ is still active and transporting warm moist air in the upper levels - the STJ is originating from ENSO region 4, were there is warm SSTs. It appears that the stream would continue to deliver/transport warm moist air in the upper levels. I think we'll see above normal precipitation in the coming weeks (Dec. 17th - 22nd and possibly after) due to the differences of air masses from the northern stream and the STJ, numerous of weather systems would develop along the boundary because of fronts setting up and a moist upper flow. An active STJ can be a good thing and bad depending on how you look at it and on whether you want to see winter weather. I think we're headed into some interesting times in the very near future.

The pattern on today's CFSv2 was very weenie looking after Christmas.

30-day mean pattern from the Winter Solstice to about MLK Day is just about as good looking as it gets.

1642723200-U5oNmxrm8vo.png

Geez, that's pretty beautiful. I'll take that for a few weeks and could likely call it a winter.

• Thank You
Reactions: SD
Wow those are absolutely beautiful, I especially like the choice of colors and smoothed/coherent look of the HRRR plot. I hope these become readily accessible at some point because they're extremely eye-catching.
It's the WSV3 program but I'm really just starting to dig into what I can do with it and how I can manipulate it, sometimes I just want to smash my laptop on the ground because it can get frustrating to me. The original goal was to push images/loops to our socials and a southernwx web page but there is a little red tape involved that im trying to get confirmation on that we are good to go before really looking into it. I believe Brad P uses it for a lot of his social media videos he's far better with the program than me.

Back