• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

Well, what about Mount Tambora? that erupted in 1815 and was followed by extremely cold spring and summer in Europe of 1816. Also, Europe had snowfall in June, July and August. It was known as, "the year without sunmer." I tried to find an H5 height map but I don't think those maps existed during that time. But since Europe was unusually cold, the eastern US probably was as well.

Then there's Krakatau, which erupted in 1883 that generated 20x the amount of volcanic matter released by Mt. St. Helens in 1980. After the eruption, the world experienced unusually cool weather.

Both of those volcanoes are in Indonesia, just like Mount Agung.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Again you're mixing up global and regional scale impacts & how the aerosols impact the radiative balance of the stratosphere its relation to the strength of the tropospheric polar vortex in the winter... After the Krakatoa eruption in August 1883, the subsequent winter was warm-very warm across the contiguous US similar to what was observed in 1991-92 after the Pinatubo eruption
DJFM 1883-84 US temperature anomalies (relative to the 1865-1905 base period)
_GNGAJdqBZ.png

Oh no.......
I know what you speak of and....
817fa37682960f2a5f8be25e80fedc93.gif

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know it's still a long ways out but ensemble support like that within 240 is exciting to say the least! We've moved from 384 to within 240, I like it
Better enjoy the brief warm up first of December and might even consider a little extra insulation on some pipes but don't buy the sled just yet, I'll not mention names

I know it's still a long ways out but ensemble support like that within 240 is exciting to say the least! We've moved from 384 to within 240, I like it
Better enjoy the brief warm up first of December and might even consider a little extra insulation on some pipes but don't buy the sled just yet, I'll not mention names

H&$$ NO! No sleds allowed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again you're mixing up global and regional scale impacts & how the aerosols impact the radiative balance of the stratosphere its relation to the strength of the tropospheric polar vortex in the winter... After the Krakatoa eruption in August 1883, the subsequent winter was warm-very warm across the contiguous US similar to what was observed in 1991-92 after the Pinatubo eruption
DJFM 1883-84 US temperature anomalies (relative to the 1865-1905 base period)
View attachment 1610
I'm not mixing up global and regional. After the eruption, the Earth's avg. temp dropped 1°C. This includes the SE US/eastern US. Obviously, it's not a big drop to notice a significant change. Plus, the indices probably were different after each eruption. The eruption of the volcanoes don't warm the atmosphere alone. There are other factors at play.

I'm not mixing up global and regional. After the eruption, the Earth's avg. temp dropped 1°C. This includes the SE US/eastern US. Obviously, it's not a big drop to notice a significant change. Plus, the indices probably were different after each eruption. The eruption of the volcanoes don't warm the atmosphere alone. There are other factors at play.

Don, the 1C drop in temperature was a global average you can't just assume the same drop occurred everywhere including in the SE US without actually looking at the data which shows otherwise.

Back