• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_46.png

Aha! That still counts in the time frame that I'm thinking and I didn't say exactly where in the south, it could simply be a mid south storm.

But of course it's going to change multiple times still.

Storm shows up for the SE around 312 again

384 is even better, GFS really loves the Dec. 11-18th period for winter mischief. It'll be interesting to see if the storm signal for wintry weather gets stronger among weather models and holds true once we get to the middle of the month.

As Webber alluded to earlier, boy the GFS sure overdoes 'potential' snowcover radiational cooling..

Is it really overdoing that much though? I don't know or remember what the snowcover on average was like across the US back in December 2010, but we easily saw quite a few morning lows in the teens after an arctic front passage.

Yes, the GFS is suggesting the southern stream is going to be active. I'm going to take one storm system at a time. I believe the first storm system will be between days 7-10 or so (Dec. 9th-12th) which a thread for that system maybe made soon.

Is it really overdoing that much though? I don't know or remember what the snowcover on average was like across the US back in December 2010, but we easily saw quite a few morning lows in the teens after an arctic front passage.
yeah, I don't know.. a good question for someone far more informed about weather models and current algorithms used.. it does seem to me just from a novice's observations of these models for a few years now, that it indeed is a thing.

yeah, I don't know.. a good question for someone far more informed about weather models and current algorithms used.. it does seem to me just from a novice's observations of these models for a few years now, that it indeed is a thing.
GFS did this last year I believe. Showed snowcover around RAH and lows around 10-15 degrees BELOW zero! Only made it down to 5-10 above I believe. Larry should remember this! The "new" GFS upgrade may have fixed this, not sure!

oh the delicious memories, a video from the Jan 2011 snow in Chattanooga.. would love to see this kind of snow in December.. hasn't really happened in my lifetime since living here from 1989 on. The best Dec snow I've seen is the 2010 Christmas storm which was warmer than the Jan storm and only around 4 inches at my house. Of course, nothing comes close to March 93, when CHA had 2 feet of snow:

the neat thing about that jan 11 storm was how cold it was... we had heavy snow conditions and around 18 degrees for a time... amazing stuff. The Dec Christmas snow the temps were marginal, low 30s.

Takeaways from the tonight's Euro and Gfs: Gfs is a little stouter with the cold plunge, both have the two step arctic plunge out to 8 days. Euro and Gfs diverge after that...
ecmwf_T850_us_10.png
gfs_T850_us_37.png

Back