• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

Webber's post on it yesterday does show it promotes blocking though.
That's my whole point . The blocking has to be in the right places. You can have all the blocking in the world and we could still miss out on cold. Yes a recurve can help with blocking and yes it can help with getting cold air to us. That does not mean it works like that all the time.

AND most ensemble members keep 94w heading towards the west with no recurve . I think that was the meat of that tweet. Saying hey. This might not recurve

Volatility is referencing the potential pattern change not a specific event. Webb states this could be a fly in the ointment, recall back during hurricane season he elaborated in great detail how recurving typhoons effect the upper pattern, planetary wave breaks, etc etc that effect east coast troughs/ridges. I think the fly in the ointment is the uncertainty of what lies ahead cold/torch/normal due to a recurving typhoon that models just can't resolve. Proceed with caution...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Oh okay, so the fly in the ointment could benefit the colder pattern, or on the other hand, it could ruin the colder pattern. Since recurve of typhoons affect the upper pattern, this could benefit winter storms or any other weather event(s) depending upon of what the pattern will turn out to be.

Oh okay, so the fly in the ointment could benefit the colder pattern, or on the other hand, it could ruin the colder pattern. Since recurve of typhoons affect the upper pattern, this could benefit winter storms or any other weather event(s) depending upon of what the pattern will turn out to be.
Yes it's more about effecting the pattern which eventually effects sensible weather in one's back yard. I just don't think we can make the leap from eventual strength and/or path of a typhoon to how it effects a specific event without properly digesting all the planetary connections in between that gets us to that result.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well, well ... not a forecast from your Curmudgeon, but merely a sign of a pattern that obviously many folks would like to see ...

sfc_count_sup814_temp.gif

sfc_count_sup814_prec.gif

Positive signs continue.

Start looking for pieces of energy/systems trying to fire in the longer range as the cold push relaxes, albeit for a short period of time. Bigger SE events tend to happen during a pattern moderation. You don't want vodka cold pushing and pushing the entire time, as anything that may get going will be on it's way to Cuba.

It's give and take. I saw a few signs right after the 13th or so, but it's lala land.

Start looking for pieces of energy/systems trying to fire in the longer range as the cold push relaxes, albeit for a short period of time. Bigger SE events tend to happen during a pattern moderation. You don't want vodka cold pushing and pushing the entire time, as anything that may get going will be on it's way to Cuba.

It's give and take. I saw a few signs right after the 13th or so, but it's lala land.

Yeah right before a pattern change or during relaxation is a great time to score. But I'd still rather have a huge push of vodka first and then start looking during relaxation as you pointed out . I'd rather have moderating arctic air vs meager cold temps

No, I take that as invest 94 could blow our pattern up and screw everything up. Has nothing to do with a winter storm

I think the end result will be (if it recurves) it will make the pattern even better, but there could be some momentary destructive interference of our wave pattern along the way... It's a double edged sword, as the Aleutian low becomes deeper and more extensive we begin to lose the cross polar transport of Siberian air into North America, however we're probably going to be left with a more active southern stream & suppressed SE US ridge...

Yeah right before a pattern change or during relaxation is a great time to score. But I'd still rather have a huge push of vodka first and then start looking during relaxation as you pointed out . I'd rather have moderating arctic air vs meager cold temps

I wanted newer weather watchers to realize that just because that "540" dashed blue line isn't through their back yard during a relaxation period, doesn't mean no Wintry precipitation for them. It's a good time, usually after an Arctic air intrusion.

Do or don't look at the 12Z GFS, the cold chasing moisture only 138 - 162 hours out is quite fun.

As you see happening out there towards Texas, the cold push is squashing anything potentially winding up. Cute backside flurries for parts of the SE though! (Yes, even ATL)

Mountains & TN might end up doing okay (ignoring snowfall maps) on that kind of setup. Right with the first cold push from the pattern change. That is some very cold, dense air rushing in behind spring time temperatures for many, and I can see precipitation basically "appearing" to put it easily.

And then we get a coastal forming off NC. and precipitation wrapping through GA, SC, NC. RUh Roh

System proceeds to start laying snow to the North. Kind of what I and a couple other had alluded to.. with this kind of pattern change, a coastal popping (likely further North, but who knows) makes sense for the NE. Good run for W. NC.

Back