• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

I'm close to going all in for the first time this winter !!!!!. Larry and Webber have me stacking my chips
Both are doing a superb job. Both absolutely deserve board-wide kudos, and here's truly hoping they are correct, if not underestimating.
Yet, the lawyer in me keeps saying to wait until the last witness has testified and been cross examined (i.e, the last model before now-cast time), and then with closing arguments (analysis at that point) look at the jury and get a good read before talking outcomes.
Even then perhaps be surprised (possibly pleasantly) with the verdict.
But, that's just the occupational cynic in this old
Curmudgeon.

Last edited:
Don,
1. Tambora: I went here to check Charleston, SC, records:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/

Dec 1815: warmer than norm
July 1816: warmer than norm
Aug & Sep 1816: normal
Dec 1816: warmer than normal
Feb 1817: colder than norm
Mar & Apr 1817: warmer than normal
May & June 1817: normal

June of 1816 isn't available. Perhaps that was colder than normal but we don't know. But otherwise, the subsequent 3 months are either warmer than normal or normal. Of the 10 months listed, only one was colder than normal and that not til Feb of 1817 while 5 were warmer than normal. So, at least for Charleston and probably also the SE as a whole, there is no indication of an 1816 year without a summer nor a longer term cooldown.

2. Krakatau: The winter of 1883-4 was, indeed, rather mild as Webb implied. However, January was very cold and the coldest single month in KATL between 1879 and 1894. Also, there was a big sleet storm in Atlanta (4"), Athens (3-5"), and Augusta (3") in early January
Some time ago, the librarian at the Union County Public Library in Monroe, NC sent me photocopies of pages from a book on Union County history. As shown on the first page, it describes the cold summer of 1816 and the effect it had on the crops. A Fayetteville, NC newspaper also notes the summer of 1816 as being cold.
Pages_62-63.jpg
Pages_64-65.jpg

Evening thoughts
e902d9fb0e5e6909073c0cab439eb6f4.gif

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Remember that part in Dumb and Dumber where they get robbed by the old lady in the motorized scooter and they didn't even see it coming!! I'm waiting for that between now and go time! :(
Hope I'm wrong, just everything seems too perfect.

Some time ago, the librarian at the Union County Public Library in Monroe, NC sent me photocopies of pages from a book on Union County history. As shown on the first page, it describes the cold summer of 1816 and the effect it had on the crops. A Fayetteville, NC newspaper also notes the summer of 1816 as being cold.
Nice find Eric! To go along with that, I came across an article that talked about the winters of 1883-1885 here: http://bogushistory.blogspot.com/2009/06/long-winter-of-1883-1885.html

Last edited:
Remember that part in Dumb and Dumber where they get robbed by the old lady in the motorized scooter and they didn't even see it coming!! I'm waiting for that between now and go time! :(
Hope I'm wrong, just everything seems too perfect.

HAHA! Nice post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allan hits this nail squarely on the head ...

Screen_Shot_2017-11-27_at_7.09.11_PM.png

I'm seeing similar evolution in this 100-day lowpass filtered constructed analog based on Outgoing Longwave Radiation (OLR) (overlaid w/ 300 hPa height anomalies) thru mid January, thereafter (as one would expect from stereotypical NINA evolution) the SE US ridge begins to flex its muscles by late January and especially in February...
By utilizing a 100-day filter (which is near ENSO's spectral peak), this product from Paul Roundy is likely adequately capturing ENSO-related variability in OLR and by using analogs w/ similar 100-day OLR lowpass filtered anomalies, thus it's probably also catching a lot of NINA years...

Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 10.27.16 PM.png

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/roundy/waves/analogs/analogslp.html

Nice find Eric! To go along with that, I came across an article that talked about the winters of 1883-1885 here: http://bogushistory.blogspot.com/2009/06/long-winter-of-1883-1885.html

Don,
Thanks for posting this. Snow fell on New Orleans on 6/5/1883?? What?? How could that even be possible? I'm going to check that out. Maybe it was hail?
But I already said Jan of 1884 was a very cold SE month and coldest at ATL of any month 1879-1894 with a big SE storm (major sleet N half of GA). However, Dec, Feb, and March were all warmer than normal at KATL.

Last edited:
Pages_62-63.jpg
Pages_64-65.jpg

Eric,
Thanks for posting this. Mar-June 1816 aren't available for CHS. So, they may very well have been cold at CHS. I have no way to tell. However, I do have Jul and Aug and the cold mentioned in your article did not show up as far south as CHS. Sep and Dec seem to jibe, however, since they were pleasant per your article.
I also noted the bullet addressing the extreme SE cold of Jan 8-14, 1884. My data agrees 100%.

Don,
Thanks for posting this. Snow fell on New Orleans on 6/5/1883?? What?? How could that even be possible? I'm going to check that out. Maybe it was hail?
But I already said Jan of 1884 was a very cold SE month and coldest at ATL of any month 1879-1894 with a big SE storm (major sleet N half of GA). However, Dec, Feb, and March were all warmer than normal at KATL.
6/51883 in CHA it was 82 for a high, 66 for low... very dubious for snow in New Orleans then.

Last edited:
Don,
Yes, according to that article, snow fell on New Orleans in 1883. Did snow really fall on New Orleans on that date? It's hard to say since it's dated way back. Records are scarce on somethings. However, it did officially snow in New Orleans on Feb. 4th, 1899 with 3" of snow and ice. Going back to Krakatoa, the four years after eruption were unusually cold, and the winter of 1887-1888 included powerful blizzards and record snowfalls were recorded worldwide. It's interesting that New Orleans received snow and ice in 1899.

IF it snows big in Texas, that where it usually happens.. Think Dalhart Tx in the Panhandle averages close to 20 inches of snow annually.

Back