• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

Can anyone explain the bathtub sloshing thing from JB? I heard it years ago but I don’t understand what I means.
I wonder if that set up Goofy is showing early in the weekend could push some flurries all the way down to you, if there's enough moisture left. It's cranking right up and dragging the Oline around behind it. I've seen it do that putting a swath from central Ala up the mtns. Get that tight gradient, and the cold air in a comma getting pulled in behind. Be cool to see some flurries.
I was doing an art show in Montgomery mall in the ..I don't remember, early 80's probably, and a gulf low pulled thru with heavy rain as I was loading up to leave Atl. , and as I was getting the last pieces in, it turned to snow, and flash froze all the way down to the mall. But much worse on the west side of the hills, lol. Traffic to Mongomery could get thru, but going to Atl, jack knifed tractor trailers on all the hills. Amazing, but that kind of stuff can happen when they get wound up tight and pull in a select area of super cold air.

Last edited:
If I was in eastern nc, id watch to see how much CAPE develops later tomorrow, this setup Is very similar to March 27 2009 and it only took 250 jkg for low topped, tornado producing supercells to develop along with 50kt+ of shear and sfc-3km helicity of 150 m2/s2, this setup Is identical with a closed ULL

Table major mid-winter for SSW. For nino’s it’s worked out more times than not. Not counting super nino only really dud is 07. And that winter had a solid pattern for February, just didn’t produce. Didn’t go back past mid 80’s.

2010, 2007, 2004, 2003, 1988, 1987

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/csd/groups/csd8/sswcompendium/majorevents.html

We did get a storm right at the beginning of February in NC, it was a small event yes but it's forever ingrained in my memory because it's the one time it snowed here and I had to go to school for it. I was actually still in elementary school at the time, and Cumberland County decided to not close and it made a lot of people angry as they had to drive in the snow which not only stuck to the ground but the roads. Picked up about 1" where I was at before it changed over to sleet and then rain just after 9-910am. Our teacher was going to let us play football outside in the snow and I would have done that if the changeover would have waited another 15 minutes or so :mad:.
February 1 2007 NC Snowmap.gif

I’m just keeping it real for my homies, I keep seeing 02/03 winter as an analog, and it sucked in the Upstate, the early Dec ice storm was the only wintry event we had!
It wasn’t much good here either. We got cold but only picked up about an inch from a random clipper.

If I was in eastern nc, id watch to see how much CAPE develops later tomorrow, this setup Is very similar to March 27 2009 and it only took 250 jkg for low topped, tornado producing supercells to develop along with 50kt+ of shear and sfc-3km helicity of 150 m2/s2, this setup Is identical with a closed ULL

Yeah these look like supercells to me

5e88f7e8e08b1e0304fe8efa7af96775.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 0Z EPS remains very strong with the SSW peaking near 12/28-31. Per models at 10 mb within 60-90N, it should cool back some the next two days or so but then warm sharply at least for a solid week til the last days of Dec. Going to be a lot of fun to follow and see if we can get the rare brown (+28 to +32 anomalies) and maybe even the very rare gray (+32+) at 10 mb. If we see brown at 10 mb, it would be the first time at that level in 10 years! The EPS has been suggesting at least brown and quite possibly even gray. Follow the strat. here on the right side of this:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...gif_files/time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_OND_NH_2018.png

Last edited:
The 0Z EPS remains very strong with the SSW peaking near 12/28-31. Per models at 10 mb within 60-90N, it should cool back some the next two days or so but then warm sharply at least for a solid week til the last days of Dec. Going to be a lot of fun to follow and see if we can get the rare brown (+28 to +32 anomalies) and maybe even the very rare gray (+32+) at 10 mb. If we see brown at 10 mb, it would be the first time in 10 years!The EPS has been suggesting at least brown and quite possibly even gray. Follow the strat. here on the right side of this:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...gif_files/time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_OND_NH_2018.png

10 years ??? Wow , awesome info thanks Larry !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And CADs always trend colder!!
True statement actually....

I say hold on ladies and gents I have a strong feeling January will not disappoint. Enjoy your Christmas, get some rest..... going to be some long fun nights starting in a couple of weeks

The 0Z EPS remains very strong with the SSW peaking near 12/28-31. Per models at 10 mb within 60-90N, it should cool back some the next two days or so but then warm sharply at least for a solid week til the last days of Dec. Going to be a lot of fun to follow and see if we can get the rare brown (+28 to +32 anomalies) and maybe even the very rare gray (+32+) at 10 mb. If we see brown at 10 mb, it would be the first time at that level in 10 years! The EPS has been suggesting at least brown and quite possibly even gray. Follow the strat. here on the right side of this:

Inside day 10 on the op is nice.

fluxes.gif

With the GFS/GEFS for the potential SSW....the Op is not as aggressive as it's ensembles. The OP doesn't even have a major SSW where every member of it's ensemble does. Who knows...but the Euro and it looks like EPS does have a major and the GEPS looks to be fairly aggressive and has a split.

u_65N_10hpa.pngu_65N_10hpa_gefs.png

True statement actually....

I say hold on ladies and gents I have a strong feeling January will not disappoint. Enjoy your Christmas, get some rest..... going to be some long fun nights starting in a couple of weeks

Even the CFS looks really good. Though it was awful for November. It does look like it will get Dec correct.

JMA seasonal for weeks 3-4 look like this too.

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 8.51.27 AM.png

Back