• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

After examining the 0Z EPS maps closely, it appears to me that IF it were to verify that the 60-90 N 10 mb warming could very well exceed +30 C and get as high as ~+32 to +34 C at the peak 12/29-30! That would easily make it the strongest at 10 mb since at least the 1/09 SSW! Going back to when these records start in 1979, the only comparable SSWs (say +28+) at 10 mb would be 1/09 (+34), 12/01 (+30), 12/98 (+30), 1/92 (+32), and the great 1/85 (+28). The warmest since 2009 has only been ~+21. So, this is looking to be a really big deal vs recent history. After cooling over the next couple of days to a slight negative anomaly, the warming is forecast to start by 12/23.

Last edited:
After examining the 0Z EPS maps closely, it appears to me that IF it were to verify that the 60-90 N 10 mb warming could very well exceed +30 C and get as high as ~+32 to +34 C at the peak 12/29-30! That would easily make it the strongest at 10 mb since at least the 1/09 SSW! Going back to when these records start in 1979, the only comparable SSWs (say +28+) at 10 mb would be 1/09 (+34), 12/01 (+30), 12/98 (+30), 1/92 (+32), and the great 1/85 (+28). The warmest since 2009 has only been ~+21. So, this is looking to be a really big deal vs recent history. After cooling over the next couple of days to a slight negative anomaly, the warming is forecast to start by 12/23.
What were the effects on weather 2-3 weeks down the line? Did we always get a colder pattern in the US and or SE? Was the 2009/10 SSW event , the kickstart to that awesome, snowy pattern?

Hey guys not sure where to put this so it can be moved if necessary.. Please keep my hometown of Port Orchard in your thoughts and prayers over the holidays as the tornado devastated an entire neighborhood literally right behind my parents house.. Parents and brother are fine able to come back home after a gas leak but still without power. A lot not so lucky. Unlike us here in the South we prepare for the effects of a major earthquake up there so the response for the Tornado while adequate wasn’t what it would be like down here. Still very unsure how this went unwarned because we were monitoring rotation over at #WAWX for a good 10-15 minutes before it hit and thought at least a Severe Thunderstorm Warning was due..

So, you guys trying to make me think this whole SSW thing is real this time huh? Not going to work.

View attachment 9311
Great idea! 2-3 weeks after it happens, you’ll hear about record cold in London and Paris, and snow in Jerusalem, why we are still looking for that cold pattern! :(

I, for one, will be glad when the GFS is discontinued. There is a reason for it....the model is almost as clueless as the people who keep posting its 4 day torch output.
Every global model is showing AN temps at this time frame. Maybe we should get rid of the CMC EURO and FV3 as well? Many of us will see upper 60’s to 70’s for a short time frame. It’s not the end of the world, Dad.

Great idea! 2-3 weeks after it happens, you’ll hear about record cold in London and Paris, and snow in Jerusalem, why we are still looking for that cold pattern! :(
MJO 8, 2, and 1 can’t run forever. I think by mid January it will finally be cold enough to shunt our STJ pipeline into Honduras. Can’t wait ??

MJO 8, 2, and 1 can’t run forever. I think by mid January it will finally be cold enough to shunt our STJ pipeline into Honduras. Can’t wait ??

What happens to the board when Montgomery, Macon, Augusta, and Columbia gets a raging winter storm while Raleigh, Atlanta, Greenville, and Birmingham get nothing?

What happens to the board when Montgomery, Macon, Augusta, and Columbia gets a raging winter storm while Raleigh, Atlanta, Greenville, and Birmingham get nothing?
It’s been a while. We’re actually overdue for an event like that. Columbia is only an hour from my house so I may just have to ride to Rush’s for a cheeseburger and check out the snow

It’s happened before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, 1973 and 2010

Feb1973SnowfallAccum.png

Columbia is further north than Atlanta so im sure if those deep south cities got snow, Atlanta would too.

January 2011...Raleigh got miller B'd. I could go on and on for Raleigh with near misses to our south, east, west and north.

map_btd.png

Back