• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

Yowza... As noted earlier this past week, it usually takes about 2-3 weeks for the troposphere to respond to a sudden stratospheric warming event when they do occur. That would put us sometime around mid January to reap the benefits of this in terms of increased high-latitude tropospheric blocking (-AO/-NAO) which might be aptly timed w/ subseasonal tropical forcing as the MJO enters phase 7 around this time, which as I talked about yesterday has built up quite a reputation in producing wintry weather in the Carolinas during January. Mid-January certainly is starting to hold a little large-scale promise that something could appear on the horizon during that timeframe, we'll see how this evolves over the next few weeks.

I’m gonna need any snowstorms or ice storms to occur before Jan 26th or after Feb 1st, thanks!! :)

Yowza... As noted earlier this past week, it usually takes about 2-3 weeks for the troposphere to respond to a sudden stratospheric warming event when they do occur. That would put us sometime around mid January to reap the benefits of this in terms of increased high-latitude tropospheric blocking (-AO/-NAO) which might be aptly timed w/ subseasonal tropical forcing as the MJO enters phase 7 around this time, which as I talked about yesterday has built up quite a reputation in producing wintry weather in the Carolinas during January. Mid-January certainly is starting to hold a little large-scale promise that something could appear on the horizon during that timeframe, we'll see how this evolves over the next few weeks.

Hmm, this seasonal period may be a blessing to get my firewood in order.

I hate it when the wood is out of order.

giphy.gif

I'm feeling pretty confident we're going to get back to our -EPO pattern in mid January. Nino climo and the MJO progression argues strongly for it. That along with an active southern jet is enough to be excited for late January/February. I'm still very guarded though about thinking the strat warming will do anything for us in the -NAO domain. On that graphic, the flux was very high in 2016 and did not cause a SSW. We'll see, but I've just played this record so many times, so much can go wrong or just not go at all. I'll believe we'll get the EURO weeklies -AO/-NAO pattern when I see it on the ensembles and it consistently is getting closer and closer in time. I hope so, that would be epic...but not on board with that until it shows itself to be real.

Well, played, sir. So this is not totally banter, FV3 is turning us much colder by the first of week of January. Is this an indication of the transition Webber is talking about or just error in the model?
Once you get out in la la land, it's really hard to tell, just going by the operational run of a model (I assume you are talking about the 6z run, which at the end, does show cooler temps). Just by looping the model, it looks transient, looking at the 500 mb pattern. Nothing seems to be ready to lock in place.

I tend to view a lot of flip-flopping near the end of model cycles as an indication that the pattern is in flux. If you step back and make a couple of assumptions: The MJO will continue its progression, the Strat warming will take place and disturb/split the vortex, and Nino will continue to progress as expected, then we should expect to start seeing a more favorable pattern appear more frequently and exhibit some stability in the longer ranges of the operational models. The ensembles would be even better for picking up these trends. In fact, at longer, less reliable leads, the Euro Weeklies and the CFS are pretty excited about a better pattern down the line.

All that said, there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about a period (and quite possibly, a lengthy period) of winter setting in mid-January. My experience tells me that these things tend to be a little slower to evolve than the consensus thinking suggests. But hopefully, that won't be the case this time. I don't like waiting, and I especially don't like seeing the bulk of January slip by without winter showing up in force.

The other side note is, we don't need a locked in favorable pattern to get snow, although we all know it helps. A couple of well-timed waves with a transient cold shot will do the trick. So, even though we have some time to kill, vigilance is still appropriate. :)

Not to distract from this excellent discussion, but shouldn't this either be discussed in the winter 2018-19 thread or else the January 2019 thread should be opened?

Today’s update on the strat. warming (far right of the chart) is very disappointing as I had expected to see further warming from the +4 to +8 of yesterday. Instead, it cooled:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...gif_files/time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_OND_NH_2018.png

So far, this chart has shown no evidence of anything even close to a major SSW. The most impressive ones of past years have shown warmings over 30C within a week such as this one from Dec 2003 (see far right):
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...gif_files/time_pres_TEMP_ANOM_ALL_NH_2003.gif

Hopefully, that initial slight warming of yesterday was just a preliminary to a big show coming up within a few days to match the timing of the graph Webb showed above. If not, this will be considered by me to be a huge dud.

Last edited:
Back