• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

I found this website (link below) that lists accumulating snowfalls in ATL that dates back to the 1930s. There are some accumulating snowfalls in there in the month of Dec. but most of them are a trace. I would have to do some more digging to view the maps to see the setup. Some maps are hard to find though.

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/GA/Atlanta/extreme-annual-atlanta-snowfall.php

What happened from 96-05?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for the January thread. I think it’s 4th and long and we are in punt formation.

I don't understand the lack of excitement?I was just wondering if anyone sees the potential that seems to be unfolding with the storm thursday and Friday... every run seems to be stronger and a little farther south,I know the model temperature profiles at the lower levels are bad, but this is the most likely area the models are most likely to underestimate in a impressively dynamic storm. This storm has much faster moving parts than the week storm that slid along the GOM last week. Instead of err to the cold side with cold air already in place, they tend to err to the warm side with intense storm with cold air flooding in to a warmer environment.

I don't understand the lack of excitement?I was just wondering if anyone sees the potential that seems to be unfolding with the storm thursday and Friday... every run seems to be stronger and a little farther south,I know the model temperature profiles at the lower levels are bad, but this is the most likely area the models are most likely to underestimate in a impressively dynamic storm. This storm has much faster moving parts than the week storm that slid along the GOM last week. Instead of err to the cold side with cold air already in place, they tend to err to the warm side with intense storm with cold air flooding in to a warmer environment.
Well ICON says keep hope alive I guess for some FWIW. I'd like to see what it looks like within 60 hours of the NAM. However, maybe with the closed low and some dynamics in play places in TN/N AL/ into maybe NW GA and far N GA could be in play for something. Like what has been said though low level temps to surface are a concern right now with Global models. The NAM has been south with SLP 18Z had it near NOLA and 0Z has it there moving into AL, but it's extended so no idea where it goes from there.icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_fh114-129.gificon_T2m_seus_41.pngicon_z500_vort_seus_39.png

Well ICON says keep hope alive I guess for some FWIW. I'd like to see what it looks like within 60 hours of the NAM. However, maybe with the closed low and some dynamics in play places in TN/N AL/ into maybe NW GA and far N GA could be in play for something. Like what has been said though low level temps to surface are a concern right now with Global models. The NAM has been south with SLP 18Z had it near NOLA and 0Z has it there moving into AL, but it's extended so no idea where it goes from there.View attachment 9249View attachment 9250View attachment 9251
Nice! 0z GFS data is coming in now, hopefully it will have the goods!

Upper 40s and rain on the 00z gfs
76f618a69fd29e56fd357e284cea12c1.png
6cffd593c43d89dd511c6dd66955a6d8.png

I’m more interested in the 27th to 28th time frame. That could be a minor CAD event.

Well, don’t understand how we have the 540 line so far south and wrapped into the system. But yet the 2m temps sucks.

I didn’t have much faith in this system. I guess we could learn from it.

If we weren't in this pattern, this might be interesting for some areas given that it seems to be a dynamic storm (def not really for Atlanta though), but given that the unreliable ICON is the only thing showing anything, I'm 95% at "nothing to see here, move along".

Honestly glad lol, kinda wish we were in a better pattern as if so, there probably would be some legit snow for me to look at after the storm while I'm up in the far northern part of the state, but this pattern isn't very good.

Well, the 0z FV3 is colder, dynamic cooling going on. A good bit of people across northern AL/GA and TN could be in for a good wrap around snowfall. Also, things can trend colder and colder.
5a69e7599051d4abef3e1e81690b4928.jpg
I think this system is be a little underestimated I really do think people in Mississippi North and central Alabama and parts of extreme north Georgia needs to pay attention to this because temperature can very well trend colder as we get closer

This is the IR simulation (GFS) you can see colder cloud tops behind low. This is an indication of convection, if this holds up, there would be good snowfall rates. Maybe 1/2" to 1" an hr or more.
51b9a8324782a43244355175f9a269a5.gif
@WxWatch I think we should reel this storm in I'm 80 percent confident that this storm will surprise some of the deep South by Friday

Back