• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

0z FV3, by the looks up at H5. The track of low will be further south and east. Either way, strong eastern storm system is looking likely late next week. Some will get severe wx, some rain to snow. Of course, all that will be figured out once we know which track the low will take.
af5cce368d1a2086eb83e14305bee02f.gif

0z FV3, by the looks up at H5. The track of low will be further south and east. Either way, strong eastern storm system is looking likely late next week. Some will get severe wx, some rain to snow. Of course, all that will be figured out once we know which track the low will take.

If the low is further south and east, who would get snow in that scenario?

If that one don’t work , that little nugget behind it in CA, looks like it could be fun later!?

Yeah a look that that would promote a possible hslc event, of course limiting factors is skinny cape and likely cloud cover but that storm is still far out

If the low is further south and east, who would get snow in that scenario?
Northern AL/GA, upstate SC, up through the Apps, including the foothills of NC. It would be all wrap around moisture. If you look at the 0z GFS, it has nice wrap around snows mostly for the upper south. Again, if that low develops sooner, further south and east, the wrap around snows would be further south than what the 0z GFS is showing. Then again, it may not be cold enough for snow. But, normally with a strong eastern system, it will pull deep cold air pretty far south.

ﹰGFS ﹰoutput here for 12z Friday dips to -30C at 500mb with 5C at the surface. With lapse rates that steep, precip is almost certain to be showery/convective in nature. Scattered to numerous showers/snow showers with accumulations mainly in the higher elevations would be my guess.

Euro is definitely deeper and a bit further south with the trof, but 2m temps look to be a problem. I don't have access to the good maps, but that's the best I could tell.

Euro is definitely deeper and a bit further south with the trof, but 2m temps look to be a problem. I don't have access to the good maps, but that's the best I could tell.
Yup, Euro is deeper with the trof indeed. I can't tell what's going on by the looks with the 850 temps. But deep cold air is being pulled far south. I'm on mobile right now, so it would be hard for me to view the paid maps. Can someone look at H5 on the Euro to see what's going on? By the looks of the 850 temps, it appears that there is a secondary low from the main low that is north. 2m temps may not be a problem, they could fall drastically as the low tracks to the NE and strengthens.
a900a83c9491fafc2ce1d0f07f7604ee.jpg
0201bffafa26d5ffdab2b1f41be81bad.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, Euro is deeper with the trof indeed. I can't tell what's going on by the looks with the 850 temps. But deep cold air is being pulled far south. I'm on mobile right now, so it would he hard for me to view the paid maps. Can someone look at H5 on the Euro to see what's going on? By the looks of the 850 temps, it appears that there is a secondary low from the main low that is north. 2m temps may not be a problem, they could fall drastically as the low tracks to the NE and strengthens.
Don’t see a look like that every day

Yup, Euro is deeper with the trof indeed. I can't tell what's going on by the looks with the 850 temps. But deep cold air is being pulled far south. I'm on mobile right now, so it would he hard for me to view the paid maps. Can someone look at H5 on the Euro to see what's going on? By the looks of the 850 temps, it appears that there is a secondary low from the main low that is north. 2m temps may not be a problem, they could fall drastically as the low tracks to the NE and strengthens.
That H5 look will produce a nice surface low that tracks north through the central Carolinas, bringing widespread rain to everyone. As the big deep H5 low swings by, if there’s enough moisture left over, someone, maybe in the northern mountains into WV may see some wet snow. There is no cold air anywhere to be found. This is a rainstorm. A big deep troughy rainstorm. I would issue gale warnings offshore with the threat of squalls and t-storms for coastal sections.

That H5 look will produce a nice surface low that tracks north through the central Carolinas, bringing widespread rain to everyone. As the big deep H5 low swings by, if there’s enough moisture left over, someone, maybe in the northern mountains into WV may see some wet snow. There is no cold air anywhere to be found. This is a rainstorm. A big deep troughy rainstorm. I would issue gale warnings offshore with the threat of squalls and t-storms for coastal sections.
Perhaps if we get to sloshing our ass off, we'll get enough dynamic cooling with an ULL to do the trick?

Perhaps if we get to sloshing our ass off, we'll get enough dynamic cooling with an ULL to do the trick?
It will take a lot of sloshing! It’s within the realm that someone gets wet snow on the north and west sides as it moves NE. Would be much more likely if there was genuine cold air somewhere.

Back