• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December - Deal or No Deal?

I don't know man, this 48 hr FV3 map looks pretty darn good to me. You can't expect a global model to nail every transition zone down to the mile, and obviously it wasn't 100% perfect in the Mecklenburg and Wake County regions, but it consistently got the right idea of a very tight gradient and in the general right locations. It's up to the forecasters to take it from there and that's where I sucked it up - the FV3 gave all the right information to make a great forecast IMO.

04fe5c67-2305-47dd-8da3-014cbab583f9-png.8853
Yeah, it's probably smart not to even expect anything but a cold rain when you are living on the fringe areas of a ridiculous clown map.

Yeah, it's probably smart not to even expect anything but a cold rain when you are living on the fringe areas of a ridiculous clown map.
The sooner this is accepted, the more appreciation you’ll have for 10 sleet pellets to start, while 10 miles N , gets a foot! Expect nothing but rain, and anything else is gravy!

I don't know man, this 48 hr FV3 map looks pretty darn good to me. You can't expect a global model to nail every transition zone down to the mile, and obviously it wasn't 100% perfect in the Mecklenburg and Wake County regions, but it consistently got the right idea of a very tight gradient and in the general right locations. It's up to the forecasters to take it from there and that's where I sucked it up - the FV3 gave all the right information to make a great forecast IMO.

04fe5c67-2305-47dd-8da3-014cbab583f9-png.8853

04FE5C67-2305-47DD-8DA3-014CBAB583F9.png

We had one last February, March was fairly cold with blocking. I remember most of last spring was cold.

2010 had the most infamous one, occurred in mid-January and we know what happened rest of winter.

Cohens blog about this winter and SSW.

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

View attachment 9084View attachment 9083

View attachment 9085
Yeah, I guess it was just too late to help us out last winter as it takes a while for us to feel the effects of it.

Back