• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 23-26 2022 Winter Weather and Cold

Quite a few lightning strikes in the coastal plain of NC
11f6ae3b160102d5bceba812a7efba8d.gif

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

Thinking about the OBX and sound effect tomorrow, Pamlico Sound is currently at 51 degrees. For lake effect, the general rule of thumb is your 850 level temps need to be 23 degrees colder than surface. That should make it easy to do in the areas to the east of the Pamlico Sound. Albemarle is a bit tougher as it is at 46 degrees today but also should be doable.

I'd be willing to bet that after this arctic boundary moves through that snow will fall in areas that were not expecting it. I know we can't compare everywhere with Dallas, but no model showed snow there. The moisture is shallow & light, but i bet areas in the Deep South see a little snow that were not expecting it.

Example being maybe Jackson, Birmingham & Atlanta. Would be awesome if somehow the same idea would happen in the Carolinas.

Maybe just wish casting here.
This type of cold air is definitely going to wring out every drop of moisture in the atmosphere. I’ve seen many times when we weren’t forecast to get snow with the initial front only to have flurries fall throughout the next day.

About what I expected here honestly. Dusting maybe an inch at best the cold and wind is still the bigger story. Was hoping the models were too far north with that snow squall near the Kansas border but no such luck apparently. Oh well we could have easily blanked too with the horrible trends the last couple days

IMG-20221222-100555372-HDR.jpg

IMG-20221222-100723825-HDR.jpg

IMG-20221222-100808313-HDR.jpg
That‘s awesome. I’d take that all day based on what the models were showing last night for that area. With 1-2 inches forecasted here I might have enough snow on the ground for an official white Christmas. It would be the first white Christmas here since 2010!

Past experience tells me that with an air mass this cold that moisture will be squeezed out with some flurries. Not expecting much, if anything. I remember 1983 and 1989. I don’t remember such a dramatic front and drop here in Georgia. I may stay up just to watch that … more so than any flurries squeezed out.

Good luck to all!

Back