• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

Wow 2 feet in Charlotte on the FV3. Is that even possible?
Unfortunately, no. The temps are out to lunch and Charlotte has always been deep into the warm nose for mixing. Sure, there is a non-zero chance but like single digit chance. It’s not happening with this storm.

Unfortunately, no. The temps are out to lunch and Charlotte has always been deep into the warm nose for mixing. Sure, there is a non-zero chance but like single digit chance. It’s not happening with this storm.
What chance do you think the northern burbs of Charlotte have of getting a foot ? Like around Huntersville?

giphy.gif

The best case I can see for the Charlotte metro is 4-8”. If I was forecasting for the city I would keep that limited to far northern meck and most everyone else 3” on average. And all of this is with MARGINAL temps. I would certainly be thrilled that this is good event for Charlotte any time of the year but it is going to be a FAR cry with what occurs to the north-west.

Tough call on who may see the max. I like the qpf around Asheville but the warm nose would be stronger there compared to Boone. I would prob take the northerly location and just bank on the moisture coming a little further north than expected. May take a middle location approach and pick Mount Mitchell for the max. :weenie:

I want everyone to remember the totals on the FV3 so you won’t be fooled for the next storm. It’s way too high and likely just flat out wrong with the thermal profile south of i40. Like write yourself a note or something.

6z NAM is even better. The max totals in VA shifted south into western NC. Still good there tho over a foot almost all the way to Blacksburg.

06z NAM sits around 34F in this area for the heart of the event. This weekend is going to be absolutely gross here! Very cold & breezy rain.

Last edited:
At 15z Sunday there is a blizzard from Mount Airy, NC back to Hickory, NC.

About 2 tier of the southern VA border counties also included in the wind. Mostly NC. Additional wind blast incoming overnight Sunday into Monday morning with drifting likely.

Last edited:
Back