• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

I have read others say look at the globals regarding the HP and the NAM regarding cad.

Yeah I don't think you can just ignore the NAM entirely here, the globals have issues depicting CAD, except hopefully, the FV3 might be better than the old GFS with handling it (something we'll figure out this winter).

The HP might be too strong though.

The last half of your post is pretty much what folks are talking about....

There doesn’t have to be a “big warm nose” for sleet, as I’m certain you know. In some gfs soundings yesterday they were definitely sleet. It just doesn’t take much...the soundings aren’t exactly spectacular and cold enough at all levels to rule out sleet....I’d have to have it a lot colder, like last year for our 6-10”+ storm we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the models are usually piss-poor in setups like this with depicting a narrower corridor of sleet than what actually verifies. We may see a sharper rain-snow line on the back-end of the storm as cold air advection aloft plus the ULL attempt to scour out the CAD but there's a good part of this storm where it looks like ice pellets could be an issue, I think even more so in Charlotte obviously vs RDU.

The last half of your post is pretty much what folks are talking about....

There doesn’t have to be a “big warm nose” for sleet, as I’m certain you know. In some gfs soundings yesterday they were definitely sleet. It just doesn’t take much...the soundings aren’t exactly spectacular and cold enough at all levels to rule out sleet....I’d have to have it a lot colder, like last year for our 6-10”+ storm we had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I agree, it's a super-marginal setup for the RDU corridor, I'm just saying that in the end it may end up being more of a rain or snow situation with only a narrow corridor of sleet (which Wake County is obviously a front runner to still be in potentially). Just my thoughts based on typical ptype distribution with these sort of setups - but I could be wrong and it'll certainly be interesting to see how wide the sleet zone ends up being.

Reactions: Jon
Closed off at 500mb in Texas where it other runs it wasn’t, probably won’t mean much though

nam_z500_vort_us_18.png

Back