• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Dec 8-10th Winter Storm

Nam probably spends the first 6-10 hours moistening the column across central nc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah a lot of precip "wasted" moistening up the column, at onset my DP was 20 and very dry through the column.... seems to be setting up for a bad ice storm imo

No need to panic, by any means, things are still evolving and they’re changing every run there really hasn’t been much consistency in my honest opinion. I will say I don’t like the fact that the NAM has trended weaker with the high in the CAD region, no that’s not a good sign.

Again, I’m gonna repeat this again. Every single model is having consistency issues on every different run, that’s not me being overly optimistic at all it’s just saying there’s still so much unknown there’s no consistency on any of the models

No need to panic, by any means, things are still evolving and they’re changing every run there really hasn’t been much consistency in my honest opinion. I will say I don’t like the fact that the NAM has trended weaker with the high in the CAD region, no that’s not a good sign.

Again, I’m gonna repeat this again. Every single model is having consistency issues on every different run, that’s not me being overly optimistic at all it’s just saying there’s still so much unknown there’s no consistency on any of the models

What’s your opinion on the trailing wave?

namconus_T850_seus_53.png

what's this based on? surface temps are below freezing per nam
TWC in house model run. Showed temps at 37 degrees from 8am Saturday-4AM Sunday, then it’s down to 32 and precip is down to showers. That doesn’t scream ice storm to me

I'm going to wait for a few more model runs. The NAM could be correct with its warm nose but we still have 3 days to go. When the NAM shows a warm nose, it should not be ignored, but it's still just one run for now.

The low is elongated and in the trends shown above, the elongation is pushing farther up towards west central TN. Is that why the warm nose was worse this run? Is it trying to go full miller b and close off a second low up there?

Matthew East said he would give the nod to the globals right now.

Read this RE: NAM.....

Just poured through the hour-by-hour profiles for KCLT in BUFKIT from the 6z NAM.... 12z wasn't in yet.

Really fascinating. Even out to 3-4z Sunday, the dewpoint is ABOVE freezing from essentially the SFC up to around 5k feet. Then, extremely quickly and dramatically, EXTREME drying kicks in at 2k-4k feet over the next few hours... I mean extreme. Dewpoints drop 10s of degrees C at those layers as strong NE winds kick in at those levels.

That is when the dynamic cooling really starts to kick in.... which is after the end of the 3k NAM's range that someone posted a moment ago.

Interesting.

Compared to the 6z GFS, the NAM atmospheric profile is warmer by a decent margin than the GFS at precip onset. BUT, this isn't due to a warm nose....it's the initial airmass. At this point, for that aspect of the system, I would still give a slight lean to the globals.

Crazy dry nose developing on the nam at 850. It then develops a sharp 850mb front near the SC /Ga border. This means moisture inflow is stopped and we are relying on moistening from h7 down to generate precip.
8fac08e44850455193f2a57465d90bb1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I guess it just goes to show you we have a LOOOOONG way to go with this y'all. I know its crazy, but there really hasn't been that much consistency at all right now.

Back