• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Dazzling December

Probably going to be a severe event by verification
Yep, agree. These phases we do way better at severe than snow. I’m favoring the slowing trend, on other models other than the GFS, severe weather could actually become a future threat lol, I’ve said it since Tuesday, I think inland runner/cutter

Yep, agree. These phases we do way better at severe than snow. I’m favoring a slowing trend, on other models other than the GFS, severe weather could actually become a future threat lol, I’ve said it since Tuesday, I think inland runner/cutter
Yep pattern progression favors a cutter first then a winter storm threat. Seems like we do this every time

I wouldn’t bet on anything more than trace to very light coating of snow outside the mountains & foothills in the Carolinas with the Dec 23rd system (at least not yet), unless we somehow end up close to the gfs and pull a rabbit out of the hat synoptically (x doubt). This has the feel of a storm that’ll probably end up too far NW & warm for most here, but still could squeeze out some snow flakes near the end because of how cold the trailing arctic air mass is.

The ensembles have been leaning towards this being more of an apps + OH valley + Lower Great Lakes + NE US event for a few days now (& the Continental scale pattern backs that up).

Don’t let yourself get sucked in or distracted by a few eye-catching, outlier goofus operational runs, especially because the real potential (imho) has been behind this storm ~Dec 25-28 ish

0E6719D7-2E7A-4014-8031-BDEC503DB169.png

7F942038-B5FE-4B7F-A0A7-11A1F9E746E4.png

I wouldn’t bet on anything more than trace to very light coating of snow outside the mountains & foothills in the Carolinas with the Dec 23rd system (at least not yet), unless we somehow end up close to the gfs and pull a rabbit out of the hat synoptically (x doubt). This has the feel of a storm that’ll probably end up too far NW & warm for most here, but still could squeeze out some snow flakes near the end because of how cold the trailing arctic air mass is.

The ensembles have been leaning towards this being more of an apps + OH valley + Lowe Great Lakes + NE US event for a few days now (& the Continental scale pattern backs that up).

Don’t let yourself get sucked in or distracted by a few eye-catching, outlier goofus operational runs, especially because the real potential (imho) has been behind this storm ~Dec 25-28 ish

View attachment 127008

View attachment 127009
Would this first storm favor more snow/ice places further west of the apps?

Can see by day 3-4 models diverge. GFS v/s CMC. GFS seperates and CMC and others don't.

View attachment 127010
Ukmet showed first and was kinda bashed, but it does well with pattern recognition and should never be discounted imho.

Could be but the CMC fails on both.
yeah hate to say it but it's definite possibility. Still with the anomalous blocking setting up models gonna struggle, just like they do with CAD. I think we still will be fine just not sure when yet :p

Back