• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NC covid cases down for third consecutive day to 1,186, positive test rate down to 6%, ICU and hospital bed capacity both above 25%, and hospitalization rate flat for past seven days. All good signs in my book... hope those trends continue. ??
I'm seeing a positive test rate of 9%.

New York will see more cases and, in turn, hospitalizations as they've finally begun to open back up. It's inevitable since lock downs simply delay spread, not stop it.

I tend to believe they have been lying about cases for a while. That or deaths. I didn’t look yesterday, but they have been averaging way more deaths than AL despite AL’s big case rise.

Pretty significant drop in hospitalizations in North Carolina today, down to 843 from 890 yesterday and a peak of 915 last Tuesday. However, there is a cyclical nature to hospitalizations on a weekly basis, so I wouldn’t celebrate too much yet. Still, today’s 843 is lower than last Monday’s 870, so there could be something to it and perhaps hospitalizations have plateaued or peaked. We’ll see...hope for the best, expect the worst...

Excess hospital beds have now increased to 29% and ICU excess capacity has increased to 24%, which is the highest I can remember in a bit (which is good!).

Tomorrow will be telling, though. Tuesdays tend to be the worst days for hospitalizations.
Hospitalizations spiked back to 908 today, though it is still slightly lower than Tuesday last week. 28% spare hospital bed/25% spare ICU capacity is significantly better than last week, IIRC.

I'm seeing a positive test rate of 9%.

They haven't updated the % positive on the NCDHHS website... you'll notice the last date on the chart is 6/29.

I took the total number of confirmed cases for today (1186) and divided that by the number of reported tests (18,676) to get the 6% positive rate.

For what it's worth, over the past 7 days if you take the total number of tests administered and compare them to the number of reported cases we're trending right about a 7% positive rate.

1593537868040.png
What's never really made sense to me is how the "seven day average" (yellow line) appears to be higher than almost all the data points. If it's an average, there should be, roughly, half the individual data points above the average and half below the average (give or take). That's definitely not the case with the NCDHHS chart.

South Carolina reports 1,755 new cases and 19 new deaths.

Last edited:
I was digging in the Georgia data and the rural areas are being hit very hard right now. Their rate of infection per population dwarfs the city areas.

I was digging in the Georgia data and the rural areas are being hit very hard right now. Their rate of infection per population dwarfs the city areas.
That is unfortunately what we saw with this earlier on too, first rural then cities. You would think it would be the other way around. I wonder if it has to do with how and when they are testing. I know there are several sites in Region 2 DPH that they are closing at 1pm now due to the heat. I wonder how they expect people who are still working to get tested......I guess the idea is that if you are sick you are not at work, but that does not seem to be how it is playing out.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back