• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaWx

Reaction score
This needs its own thread imo as it's now cluttering up the politics thread.

Although not specifically referring to any one outbreak, this article explains well why the flu is so much worse in winter than in any other season and that may be enough reason for even me to root on a warm March:

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/fyi-why-winter-flu-season/

Bad enough my 401K took a hit today. Now I need to be rooting for an early spring. Dont know which is worse lol. No telling what half of us on here would pay to get paste bombed in our back yards.

Bad enough my 401K took a hit today. Now I need to be rooting for an early spring. Dont know which is worse lol. No telling what half of us on here would pay to get paste bombed in our back yards.
Wouldn’t mind a good convective shellacking in the upper 30’s. Everyone wins that way

This needs its own thread imo as it's now cluttering up the politics thread.

Although not specifically referring to any one outbreak, this article explains well why the flu is so much worse in winter than in any other season and that may be enough reason for even me to root on a warm March:

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/fyi-why-winter-flu-season/
One would think that the Flu season would be virtually nonexistent this Winter, if it does not survive well in humid conditions.

I'm still a fresh air versus staying closed up in a house is better for you believer myself. My wife and I's first house was an old rental, that was so drafty you could literally (not lying here) see the curtains move when the wind blew. We had mice, bees and wasp get in that drafty old place but we never got sick... fast forward a few years, build our own nice airtight house and boom, colds, viruses, etc (no flu than the good Lord). I don't know just coincidence? Maybe.... anyway this is the coronavirus thread and I'm not trying to derail it, sorry.

Just remember, when the prices are down you're buying more shares with the same amount of investment, which when things go boom again will help double or triple returns.

The question will be what methods the US uses when/if we start to have little fires pop up. It wouldn't take but just a few major hubs to be shut down and then we would see so e serious problems.

Too many people are stuck on the illness part itself and not the global disruption and social consequences.

The timing of this thing could help many developed countries in the northern hemisphere. Bring on the 70’s/spring and we can learn how to better combat/contain this thing in the “offseason”.

If you look at how China has reacted it's hard to believe the numbers are even close to reality. It seems like they know it's worse than anyone can imagine or they are using the virus as a cover to crack down on protests. If this is a bioweapon things could get ugly. Anyone who tries to use the flu as a way to distract you from China's actions is dishonest or clueless. China has always had flus but never shut down the whole country.

One would think that the Flu season would be virtually nonexistent this Winter, if it does not survive well in humid conditions.

I'm still a fresh air versus staying closed up in a house is better for you believer myself. My wife and I's first house was an old rental, that was so drafty you could literally (not lying here) see the curtains move when the wind blew. We had mice, bees and wasp get in that drafty old place but we never got sick... fast forward a few years, build our own nice airtight house and boom, colds, viruses, etc (no flu than the good Lord). I don't know just coincidence? Maybe.... anyway this is the coronavirus thread and I'm not trying to derail it, sorry.
100% agree with you. Fresh air and being active and outdoors helps. Air quality in new airtight homes is so different than older drafty ones too.

I use to think that after Feb/March the flu spreading would go down but I was sicker than ever before in my life in friggin April. Nice spring weather that year. So sick with the worst real flu. Not just little symptoms and getting a test that was positive. Death. Hallucinating high fever for days Death! I really would like to know more and hear actual people that are or have been positive for Corona to tell their experience. I personally at this point feel like it's real but not as bad as we are being told by media and I also think it has something to do with the central bank/federal reserve and bringing the economy down for a purpose. They control everything! Fear is what will drive it, not the actual sickness in our back yards. Still need to be cautious though of course. If it were so bad travel would have stop and more officials should have jumped quicker and not just the sky is falling hysteria in the media. The media can't be trusted anymore and have always been questionable. Interesting to see where this goes.

From the Lefts leading Newspaper. NYT.

On Tuesday, Feb. 18, no coronavirus cases had been reported in Iran. On Sunday, the government announced 43 cases and eight deaths. Some 152 cases (and at least three deaths) were confirmed in Italy on Sunday, up from three cases on Thursday. The number of infected people in South Korea jumped to 763 (and six deaths) in just days.

As of Monday, Covid-19 was detected in at least 29 countries. In nations with few or no reported cases so far, particularly in South America and Africa, the absence of evidence shouldn’t be interpreted as evidence of absence. More likely, it reflects lack of testing.

Is the Covid-19 outbreak now a pandemic, whether or not the World Health Organization calls it that yet?

If so, what’s next?

Its very likely everywhere in Iran. When you start spreading it to Canada and Qatar on just random passengers, it is much much more widespread than reported.

I think when we look at confirmed test results and deaths in Italy and SK and use the cruise ship as the model, the real count case wise is probably three to four times higher in reality.

What is worrying me is the panic that is coming. That will bring a lot of irritation when everyone freaks out. One thing that will be discussed is the massive change supply wise that will come from this thing.

Its very likely everywhere in Iran. When you start spreading it to Canada and Qatar on just random passengers, it is much much more widespread than reported.

I think when we look at confirmed test results and deaths in Italy and SK and use the cruise ship as the model, the real count case wise is probably three to four times higher in reality.

What is worrying me is the panic that is coming. That will bring a lot of irritation when everyone freaks out. One thing that will be discussed is the massive change supply wise that will come from this thing.

This is giving me lots of problems at work. The delay in the return from CNY has already put most suppliers at least 1 week behind if not more. Now domestic supplies are starting to get thin since most companies forecasted their demand through early March when the new containers from China would be arriving. On top of that flu season coupled with companies gobbling up PPE in hopes of turning a quick dollar has made the PPE market the wild west and Im being blatantly told no from domestic sources. Hopefully domestic factories and the SE Asia market can start churning out goods at a similar cost or we are going to see short supply of certain items at crazy cost for at least March and April possibly through summer

I use to think that after Feb/March the flu spreading would go down but I was sicker than ever before in my life in friggin April. Nice spring weather that year. So sick with the worst real flu. Not just little symptoms and getting a test that was positive. Death. Hallucinating high fever for days Death! I really would like to know more and hear actual people that are or have been positive for Corona to tell their experience. I personally at this point feel like it's real but not as bad as we are being told by media and I also think it has something to do with the central bank/federal reserve and bringing the economy down for a purpose. They control everything! Fear is what will drive it, not the actual sickness in our back yards. Still need to be cautious though of course. If it were so bad travel would have stop and more officials should have jumped quicker and not just the sky is falling hysteria in the media. The media can't be trusted anymore and have always been questionable. Interesting to see where this goes.

Here is my reasoning that it obviously isn’t worried about by our government. Does anyone believe Trump would be in India right now if this was a raging contagious killer? No, he would be holed up in the US either by the government or his own accord.

Not to get too political for this thread but Trump has it all to gain from this virus if at worst it becomes just a nuisance to developed nations.

Here is my reasoning that it obviously isn’t worried about by our government. Does anyone believe Trump would be in India right now if this was a raging contagious killer? No, he would be holed up in the US either by the government or his own accord.

Not to get too political for this thread but Trump has it all to gain from this virus if at worst it becomes just a nuisance to developed nations.
What if we did it? If we used bioweapons I would think we have a vaccine or cure. I don't think we did, just saying. Trump being in India seems like a good indicator of it not being very dangerous.

I don't think India has reported any cases yet. I believe it's there, though.

Listen, never underestimate politicians' ability to be stupid. I think sometimes people who are so wealthy and powerful develop a mindset of being out of reach. Sometimes it's just as simple as plain stupid.

The supply chain disruption is a real thing and just now starting to be recognized. I don't think many have really considered all the knock-on effects of a globally arrested supply chain. We're talking products not available, people not working, defaults, companies that are already on the brink going over the cliff, a re-landscaping of manufacturers and suppliers, possible credit and banking events, etc. Hopefully, things will normalize before getting too bad. But it's looking more and more like winter is coming.

It's time to start thinking about getting a little prepared ahead of the curve. Look at how much we're talking about it compared to a few days ago. What do you think that will look like when it starts showing up in the US? In your community? The analogy of the frog in a pot with the heat being slowly turned up comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back