• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Coronavirus (Stay on Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon, asking as a fellow Covid survivor, is there any numbers on how protective antibodies are against reinfection? I had the regeneron infusion and was told I’ll have to wait 90 days before I could get vaccinated. If antibodies offer protection, what would be the rush to get vaccinated until your body doesn’t show antibodies anymore?

There is evidence vaccines produce a more robust antibody response. This helps hit that 90% effective number. With natural infection the protection is actually lower, as you can see in the picture below, convalescent people who have recovered from covid-19 have less neutralizing antibodies.

With that said, we’re just talking about IgG antibodies. Here’s another study about antibody response in natural infection and also talks about immunity in general and not just antibodies:

It’s still a relatively hot topic, how long does previous infection protective immunity last? I don’t think we know for sure yet, but what has been published so far is the odds of reinfection are low but it does happen.

I got my vaccine because it’s almost been a year since my infection (Easter 2020) and I come in contact with patients every day, so I also want to be guilt free hugging my mom when I visit. Vaccines are produced to get these cells in your body to fight potential infection, so if you already have those cells, why bother yet? I agree and it’s a good question — it’s just hard to quantify.

There is evidence vaccines produce a more robust antibody response. This helps hit that 90% effective number. With natural infection the protection is actually lower, as you can see in the picture below, convalescent people who have recovered from covid-19 have less neutralizing antibodies.

With that said, we’re just talking about IgG antibodies. Here’s another study about antibody response in natural infection and also talks about immunity in general and not just antibodies:

It’s still a relatively hot topic, how long does previous infection protective immunity last? I don’t think we know for sure yet, but what has been published so far is the odds of reinfection are low but it does happen.

I got my vaccine because it’s almost been a year since my infection (Easter 2020) and I come in contact with patients every day, so I also want to be guilt free hugging my mom when I visit. Vaccines are produced to get these cells in your body to fight potential infection, so if you already have those cells, why bother yet? I agree and it’s a good question — it’s just hard to quantify.

Very interesting information, Thanks. Will be interesting to see also if having had the regeneron if it could lead to any stronger side effects from the vaccine.

Reactions: Jon
Hubby and I got J&J on Monday. Both of us had sore arms but I ended up feeling like crap yesterday. It lasted about 12 hrs then I felt fine. Both of us are fine today with slightly sore arms

Has anyone seen the report from Washington state that over 100 people contracted Covid after their 2nd vax? Not the news I'm looking to hear about

Has anyone seen the report from Washington state that over 100 people contracted Covid after their 2nd vax? Not the news I'm looking to hear about

“Out of the 1.2 million people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in Washington, epidemiologists have reported evidence of 102 breakthrough cases in 18 counties since Feb. 1, representing less than 0.01% of all fully vaccinated individuals in the northwestern U.S. state”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least read the article before commenting thanks. I’m not trying to say or scare anyone I just like to post articles related to COVID.

At least read the article before commenting thanks. I’m not trying to say or scare anyone I just like to post articles related to COVID.

I would find a better source than the one you cited... propaganda oriented

I'm participating in a study at Johns Hopkins researching the immune response in transplant patients after getting the covid-19 vaccine. I just heard back that my blood sample sent in 3 weeks after my first Moderna shot is negative, which isn't a surprise given that only about 20% mounted an immune response following their first dose. I did think that being in the two categories with better outcomes so far (young and having received Moderna) that I might have had antibodies. Fingers crossed that the second shot provides some better protection!

Edit: Link to the study https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777685

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back